Dimensional values, but not on model?

Hello,

Just wondering if there is a way to select certain dimensions (say on an assembly), and have SW identify and display them in something like a dedicated window in table form as opposed to just having to open up the model and reading the dimension off the assembly/sketch etc itself?

This is useful when you are playing around with various configurations trying to determine which configuration(s) give you the best "quality" dimension.

Cheers

Bullman

Reply to
Bullman

Sure, sounds like a job for Design Tables.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

This is something I've so wanted to see for assemblies.

Design Tables/Configurations don't cut it because you can't include subassembly or component dimensions in an assembly design table (or can you with SW newer than 2001Plus?).

Perhaps a special folder in the Feature Manager for containing "shortcuts" to frequently accessed or important dimensions (even if they belong to a part buried six levels deep).

Maybe this is possible with an add-in? Any takers?

Joel Moore

"Bullman" wrote in news:3f69ae65$0$6528$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Reply to
Joel Moore

I am aware of Design Tables but I am not sure if they do what I am asking. The idea is to have key DRIVEN dimensional data easily inspected by changing DRIVING dimesnions without having to look for the driven dimensions in the model/sketches.

Are you suggest> > Just wondering if there is a way to select certain dimensions (say on an

Reply to
Bullman

Sounds like You're looking for equations, instead of design tables

Krister

Bullman skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3f6a1d77$0$14956$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au. ..

Reply to
Krister L

What you want to do (reactive interpart measurements (exported to a table)) can be done in any of the imbedded knowledge based softwares ie CATIA (Kware), PTC (PE) and Unigraphics Knowledge Fusion.

It takes some work to set it up they way you want it the first time but it can easily be reused on future projects.

Reply to
V8

Yes Wayne!! This is exactly what I am talking about. I am working on an rather complex linked assembly where clearances are important but hard to "predict". As I make dimensional changes to various features/sketches, I want to instantly see what the effect is on the DRIVEN dimensions of interest, hence a little window that is always open and updates automatically.

Good idea about the text note, however, depending on the orientation of the assembly the text note(s) is/are not always in view. If a dedicated window stayed open showing the DRIVEN dimensions of interest, then it would be much easier.

Bullman

diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3f6a1d77$0$14956$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au.

Reply to
Bullman

Would adding reference dims to your assy work?

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

That is what I do now. But, as I have tried to explain, when you go to edit your assembly, you often rotate the view so you can edit one of the parts. This invariably means you lose view /sightof the reference dimension as it is now off screen. You then have to go and hunt for it again :( I have found that in some orientations, it is impossible to view/read any refernce dimensions becasue you are looking along the axis of the dimension line.

Reply to
Bullman

Here's the best I can figure out right now.

  1. Create a drawing based on the assembly you are working with.
  2. In that drawing put in views with dimensions that show what you want to watch.
  3. Set Auto View Update on.
  4. Tile the assy & drawing so you can see both.
  5. Move the part(s) in the assy.
  6. Click on the drawing. This will cause the views to update and display the new value for the dimensions.
  7. Look at the dimensions. :-)

WT

diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3f6a1d77$0$14956$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au.

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Set up different configurations of your subassemblies, and the use the Design Table in the main assembly to switch the subassemblies around. Ken

Reply to
kema

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (kema) wrote in news:2ca37ae3.0309191353.29beaaa9 @posting.google.com:

That's still not as good.

1) If your part or subassy is buried several layers deep you wind up with a messy "cascade" of configurations.

2) You have a limited set of configurations. Sure you can have configurations for a linear actuator at the extremes of travel but what if you want to be able to position it anywhere in the travel envelope? You now have to go diggiing for that dimension.

There's gotta be a better way.

Joel Moore

Reply to
Joel Moore

You know what I am talking about. Absolutely there has to be a better way. ie. A "Key Dimensions" window

Bullman

Reply to
Bullman

"Bullman" wrote in news:3f6bb246$0$28898$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

If I find the time I'm going to see if this is possible with an add-in. (But don't hold your breath--I'm always "planning" on working on this or that project.)

Reply to
Joel Moore

I though I had something when I created a Design Table linked to a file, then inserted that file as an object. The table shows all the time but it doesn't update.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

There was a program/macro that I downloaded from the SW model library years ago (I think it was called 'Family Table') that would allow you to put an Excel spreadsheet into a drawing and have it populated by dimensions in the model - these would then update as you changed the model.

HTH

Merry :-)

diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3f6a1d77$0$14956$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au.

Reply to