Does Solidworks need high end video card like Inventor?

We have Inventor 9 here at work. Problem is we don't have any PCs with a proper video card for I9 to run properly. It keeps kicking us out of the program

Im curious if Sp is not so picky abt video cards and beter in that sense?

Reply to
me

We have Inventor 9 here at work. Problem is we don't have any PCs with a proper video card for I9 to run properly. It keeps kicking us out of the program

Im curious if Solidworks is not so picky abt video cards and better in that sense?

Reply to
me

There is a list of approved graphics cards and drivers on the SW website.

Reply to
News.Individual.NET

Scott

I have run SW without error on several motherboards with integral graphics (who knows what chipset) and old sidelined PC boxes with miserable video board specs. Performance will be glacial, but it seems SW will accept any video system I have thrown at it.

Reply to
rankamateur

I teach both Inventor and SolidWorks with 5 labs of 25 seats. We do not have certified graphics boards in our computers. We have a lab of brand new computers that run Inventor no problem but have to change SolidWorks to run with Open GL driver or dimensions disappear in sketch mode. On our older machines we set driver to Open GL for both Inventor and SolidWorks and do not have any great problems.

J.D.

Reply to
JDMATHER

Interesting! Thanks for that info

Well I have Dell Precision 350 with 1 gig ram and Win XP Pro

But my video card is an ATI Radeon 7000

Reply to
me

We had trouble with the Radeon cards we had. Those machines repeatably had more crashes, dims not showing, etc. than the others.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yeah Im definitely suspecting this ATI video card

Reply to
me

I hope this is just curiosity, because you can buy a hell of a graphics card for the cost of switching to SW!

Cheap graphics cards are a classic case of "penny-wise, pound-foolish". It had better be a damn fine job to put up with a manager stupid enough to not buy you better cards.

Jerry Steiger