"Don't ask me again" checkbox

When I save an assembly where the parts have changed, I would always get a prompt asking if I would like to save any changed referenced models as well. I appreciate that it asks me. There is however, a checkbox that you can check to prevent SW from asking you that question. Its called the "Don't ask me again" checkbox.

Apparently at some point this checkbox got checked, because it no longer asks me this question. It will save any referenced documents automagicly, without asking.

How can I get SW to ask me again?

Seth

P.S. Been a while since I posted here. Started a new job as a product designer. All is well. Still doing some mold design on the side sometimes though.

Reply to
Seth

Hi Seth,

It's funny I was just thinking about this last night (working late).

2007 seems particularly bad for nuisance dialogues. When I go back to an assembly after changing a part seemingly half a dozen windows open on top of each other (looks very unprofessional btw).

Did you notice that now when you uncheck one type of warning the other one becomes automatically selected?

Also, I swear I've checked 'don't ask me again in this session' about 'many several' times per session!

I don't see the point of the 'you should really think about letting sw rebuild your part before you save it, so do you want to rebuild it? Do you? Ok, so are you sure you want ot rebuild it? Do you want to do it now? How bout now?'

The answer in my case is always yes - so I would be happy to be able to permanently dismiss many of these dialogues.

Zander

Seth wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Yeah, what I want is a "Yes,I know that if I want to make a copy I need to Save-As, so don't ever ask me this again. EVER!" button. And a "Yes I will always want to trim this way, and if I don't, I know how to change it" checkbox.

Muggs

Zander wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

We should start a petition! I seriously think I could get rsi from all these 'are you sure?' questions.

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I agree that most of these "are you sure" type dialogs are annoying and I would like more control on whether they are shown or not (maybe time for an Enhancement Requests).

In my case however I actually DO want the "do you want to save referenced documents" dialog to appear. I will always answer yes. Its just that with so many in context references and such, I want to know whether something did change or not. It does give you the control to do away with this dialog. But I have not found a way to turn it back on.

Anyone?

Seth

Zander wrote:

Reply to
Seth

this must be new in 2007 as 2006 is only per "session".

just guessing now, there is a checkbox under, tools>options>external references. perhaps your selecting the "don't ask again" prompt selected this option to be on.

Reply to
kenneth

No, this is in 2006... It doesn't, nor ever has given me the option to turn the "save referenced documents" warning off "per session". The only dialog that I get with that option is like when ctrl-tabbing to an assembly that needs rebuilding or something. You can turn that off "per session".

But, your suggestion on the fix is the one I was looking for.... Must have missed it....

Thanks Seth

kenneth wrote:

Reply to
Seth

You would have my vote on any petition along this line.

Thanks,

EdT

Reply to
Ed

I used to use I-DEAS, where there were very few warning boxes popped up. What it did instead was write all the warnings to a "list window", which you kept an eye on whilst it was doing its business.

The nice thing about that was that the information was retained for the session, and you could maximise the list window to view it better. Pretty much everything was written to it, including the results of any measurement commands - this was way better than the SWX measure, where you have to write down a series of values!

John H

Reply to
John H

John,

You can copy / paste the contents of the measure box, either into a dim modify dialogue or into something like a notepad file.

Zander

John H wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I know, thanks, but it's hardly a time saver. I often want to make a whole series of measurements, and SWX doesn't make this the quick and easy process it should be, though it did improve at 2006.

John H

Reply to
John H

A petition wouldn't be necessayr read this:

is a thread on the solidworks forum about all this annoying message. Things would change in the 2008 version

Reply to
technax