eDrawings crap graphics performance

Hi,

Is there are reason why the graphics performance of an eDrawing is so much worse than when manipulating the original assy in SWX, and is there any setting that can improve it?

John H

Reply to
John H

You could check that the Software open GL is not selected in:

TOOLS > OPTIONS > PERFORMANCE

I'm not sure if it takes its cue from Solidworks or not.

Kev

Reply to
alphawave

Try turning off 'use dynamic view animations' in edrawings tools options.

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

I think part (but not all) of the problem lies with the "show edges when shaded" option. In SWX the edges are not shown whilst you are dynamically rotating the model, but in eDrawings it tries to show them all the time. It certainly improves the speed when it is switched off, but its a pain to have to keep changing this setting.

I also wonder whether eDrawings makes use of hardware OpenGL, since maybe they assume that most pc's of non-CAD users won't support it.

John H

Reply to
John H

You might also want to reduce the display quality settings in SolidWorks prior to creating the eDrawing. This can have a great impact on the size and performance of the resulting eDrawing.

Best regards,

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware you could vary the quality of the eDrawing.

John H

Reply to
John H

John,

I ran a test with a moderately simple part to illustrate the differences

1.) SW Image Quality set to highest value - resultant eDrawing size = 11.3Mb 2.) SW Image Quality set to middle (10th tick) value - resultant eDrawing size = 154Kb 3.) SW Image Quality set to normal (4th tick) value - resultant eDrawing size = 73.4Kb 4.) SW Image Quality set to lowest (1st tick) value - resultant eDrawing size = 34.3Kb

As you can see, the image quality setting in SolidWorks can have a dramatic impact on the size and ultimately performance of published eDrawings.

In my opinion, only the the lowest quality setting resulted in an eDrawing with unacceptable visual quality. There was no perceptible difference between the higher settings.

Hope this helps.

John

Reply to
John