embedding excel sheet

Hi all -

I'm trying to write a macro that will let me edit properties on a bunch of files at once, using an Excel table. Is there a way to use an embedded Excel sheet, a la design tables, instead of launching Excel as a separate app and having to work around a way to trigger data retrieval by SW? I have all the other code - select a folder, step through the files of the selected type gathering their properties and drop it all into a worksheet. Now I just need the right way to access Excel. I've got a workaround in mind (use a dedicated workbook for this purpose, clear it out every time, and add a button to my form triggering retrieval) but I'm hoping for something more direct.

Thanks in advance,

-Mark

[x-posted to SolidMentor]
Reply to
Mark

jeppe

What I was hoping to do wasn't really embedding a worksheet, per se - I just wanted to launch an excel sheet that a) wasn't necessarily in a separate Excel window and b) included the "close and return to solidworks" option. Instead I wound up using the workaround I mentioned previously - SW sends all the property info to a master worksheet, which contains a macro to exports the property values back to SW; it operates without saving so that the excel file can be read-only (no leftover values messing with future runs). The nice thing about this option is that if I choose, I can save the excel sheet elsewhere - for instance, yesterday somebody else had checked out the files I needed to modify, so I just saved the worksheet, and when she checks the files back in I can launch the macro and update all the properties.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark