Ethical VAR Tactics?

Just received this from my VAR!

"Not trying to be a pest, I just don't want your SolidWorks/Cosmos maintenance to expire if that is not your intention. To avoid disruption of service and any late fees of $100 per license, please send P.O., full payment, or sign invoice to:"

My reply to him was:

Are you really trying to threaten me with disruption of the use of my SolidWorks software?

You mean that Microsoft has finally succeeded in building in the hooks for you to disable any piece of software like SolidWorks which doesn't have maintenance paid? What in the heck are you talking about? The Maintenance fee is NOT even due yet.

This is just slightly below the level of a con man's attempt to swindle a patsy, and you expect to keep me as a customer? Why shouldn't I find a more friendly VAR who will actually call me back within a day of me calling as opposed to 6-7 days like last time?

What in the heck are you talking about? The Maintenance fee is NOT even due yet.

You need to have the President of your group give me a call & explain this.

Reply to
Bo

I'm betting...... GoEngineer? Got one of those myself yesterday. Mine also says that they'll give a $250 discount for renewing for those that have allowed maintenance to expire. I'm really tempted to allow mine to expire, then take them up on the expired maintenance discount, thus saving $150. BTW, my maintenance is due the end of Jan, I've been getting renewal notices since.... late september.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
KMaren

The fee to reestablish lapsed maintenance is very often completely waived, especially if the time frame is lease than a year or if their are sizeable number of licenses at the site.

Matt

KMaren wrote:

Reply to
fcsuper

Disruption of service = no help @ VAR or SW "central". Also no upgrades. Your current SW license is stll good.

So... no, they are'nt trying to threaten you with loss of SW.

Reply to
That70sTick

I suspect your VAR is more likely referring to subscription support services. That would be tech support, the ability to download service packs, etc. I went through that once as a result of some miscommunication.

VARs can be a little short on tact. At least one well known user has all but disappeared as a result.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That's the sound of inevitability. The mid range CAD market is saturated. Alibre raised the threshold and PTC lowered the transom. What's an aged mid range cash cow to do?

Reply to
willynilly

I'm not sure about the experiences of others, but the VAR we use is very responsive and didn't bug us but once at about 30 days before lapse in maintenance (and maybe a week before if we forget or something). I think we've been pretty lucky with these guys, as they never got bought out (they did the buying) and have maintained a level of service that is pretty close to what it has always been. I can normally get someone on the phone right away, or at the very least a returned call with 30 minutes of my call. They offer frequent free updating training sessions, and have paid training courses that a specifically geared to obtaining the SolidWorks Professional cert.

We did have issues with them once a long time ago during a SolidWorks expo. For some reason, the owner thought it would be a good idea to have the entire staff attend the show, and it just so happened to coincide with us getting a bad doogle for are new network licencing. Both other than, it's been smooth.

One hint: any VAR will pay more attention to your requests if you are customer that has 10 or more licenses on site.

I think they are only West Coast, so if you'd like to know who they are, you can go to my site under SolidWorks Resources web links for the only VAR listed. :)

Matt

Reply to
fcsuper

$100 + maint to renew with the same expiration date

$500 + Maint to have the expiration date change to the current month

atleast the last time I heard anything about it.

fcsuper wrote:

Reply to
CS