Flattened end tubing

A few years back I asked this question and now do you think I could find the answer nooooo....

Anyhow I have a tube that will get hammered down on the end, and a hole drilled in it so that it can be bolted to stuff / other tubes. Sort of like what you would see at a jungle gym in a playground, the geodesic dome structures that are made of tubing and crimped at the end and bolted together.

I am at a loss as to how to model this, just know I did it years ago at a place I no longer have access to the models :(

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Well after I pulled my head from my arse I came up with this...

I am positive someone has a simpler way of making this, but this will do for now until someone shows me a better way

Ben

Ben Eadie wrote:

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Next month's modeling challenge?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I have an example, but I can't remember how to post pictures...

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

Ben, We handle all such cases "As Manufactured" -vs- "As Assembled" using configurations. We create the "As Manufactured" part model with a part number suffixed with "_AM", this model is used for the detail drawing. Then, in the same database, we create the "As Assembled" part model with the actual "part number" only. Using this method, the part number used in the next level assembly is always correct. This works well for us in cases where a part is crimped/bent, machined, roll crimped, etc. We also use this method for elastomeric parts that are molded one way and then deformed when placed in an assembly. I have a document that describes the methods and part numbering schemes that we use to accomplish this. If you or anyone else is interested, e-mail me and I'll reply with an attachment. snipped-for-privacy@enidine.com Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie

Thanks man, great idea and good point. I still need the part modeled so that I can do a rendering. I have what I need now but it would be nice to have a simpler method.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie