Folded - Unfolded sheetmetal features

Can someone please help! Here is a description of what i'm doing and my problem.

I start by drawing a arc, and sheet metal extrude. I am now left with the sheet which is manufactured by rolling. I am trying to use the flattened pattern to produce numerious holes along the face. This works fine untill I unfold it again, losing all the holes. I then tried to use the folded model to sketch the holes, but it would not let me select the surface to sketch (don't forget its a full curve)

This is starting to reallly annoy me, can anyone help!!!! Please!!!

Thanks

Reply to
Nigel

I think what you want to do is, use the "Unfold" command to flatten the rolled piece. Then add your holes, cutouts, etc. When your done with that, use the "Fold" command to form the piece back up. If you try to do it your way, using the flattened pattern, anything added will be suppressed when you form it back up. That's why you need to use the "Unfold" & "Fold" commands.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

WOW! When I first read this, this morning, I had no idea that I would actually need to use it this afternoon.

Thanks, Richard, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hi Nigel -

It looks like you have gotten some good tips already, but it is noteworthy to mention that "flat features" can be implemented generally in two ways, based on the sheet metal modeling method that one chose.

When using the BaseFlange method, one must add the UnFold-Cut(or Extrude)-Fold combination to obtain a flat feature.

When using the InsertBends method, one may use the above method if needed, but may also put the Cut(or Extrude) feature between the Flatten-Bends & Process-Bends features. These act as a "natural" unfold-fold container.

Given the choice, I dramatically prefer the latter modeling method (InsertBends) as it give the best versatility on the methods one might use to model a viable part. Both work nicely though.

You might benefit from seeing these models:

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

WOW! What a welth of information. Great website!

Thanks Nigel, Muggs

Muggs

Yes, for all you teachers out there. I missed the "a".

Muggs

Muggs