Here's a fun one!

Hi NG guys,

I thought this would be an interesting one for the lot of ya. Please tell me your ideas as to how I should approach modeling the thread form that is on the page this link points to. I need to create a form tool in our library for this baby. We were just modeling it as a dome with a hole in the middle however it interfered with reality when the little fella crossed over a closely cut edge because the model did not acurately depict the tail effect that it has. So I though I would make it more realistic. Any offerings or suggestions?

2005 SP3

Thanx for help in advance!!!

JAY

Reply to
Jay

Looks like a sweep where the center is a helix and the outside is a spiral, then sweep an arc using the spiral as the path and the helix as a GC. As for making it into a forming tool, that shouldn't be hard.

I put together something that looks like the picture, and made it form a sheetmetal part just to make sure it works. It's the wrong hand and way too big, so you'll have to actually go through the steps and make it yourself with the right dimensions. You might also have to add some fillets.

\swparts\formingtool.zip

Anyway, good luck.

Matt

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt,

You saved me alot of time from beating my head against the monitor. I have a few things that need to be addressed and you guys will probably hear from me again. One thing at a time though. Thanks again.

JAY

Reply to
Jay