Holes on a cylinder

What's the easiest way to put a pattern of threaded holes in a face that isn't flat?

--
John Kimmel
gu** snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com
John Kimmel wrote:

Don't pick a face and click Hole Wizard. That makes a 3D sketch HW hole
Regards, Scott

That's exactly how I did it, that's how I expected the hole wizard to work. The problem is that I couldn't get the hole location points to stick directly to my reference points, I kept getting an error message, either "no valid edge for cosmetic threads", or "hole doesn't intersect the model". When I insert the hole locator point, then manually insert coincident relations from the hole point to my reference points, it works the way I want.
The part I'm making is a ring, 18" diameter wrapped around a cylinder of 62" radius. Ideally, I'd like to put an equally spaced bolt circle around the ring, with hole axes through the 62" radius axis.
What's a 3d sketch HW hole? Is that bad?
Scott wrote:

--
John Kimmel
gu** snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com
John,
I think you did it right, but I'm confused. You did get your hole location to stick to your reference point by manually making a coincident mate, right? If so, that would be how I have always done it. When you do the Hole Wizard, after picking the hole from the tables, it puts a hole "on the origin". Notice the Point feature is turned on. I turn it off, and then make the coincident mate or whatever mate is needed. You can drag the hole out if you need to. I think your finding that the hole wizard doesn't "lock" the holes location point by default.
Mr. Pickles