How do you name featues and sketchs?

Just curious as to how people go about naming features and sketches in a part. do you name the sketch the same as the feature? or do you just name the feature or do you leave it and use the default. How many of you name your dimension. how do you go about naming dimensions? just looking for ways I can be more efficient!

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

Default names for sketch/feature...it takes too much time to invent names for everything ;-)

Own descriptive names for dimensions but only if they are used in design table or something similar.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Usually I keep the default name...unless I have a multifeature part, then I can sometime rename features for easy recognisation...... Otherwise I almost always rename new planes in assys to something understandable

Krister L

Nathan Feculak skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:vYqxb.52522$oN2.24784@edtnps84...

Reply to
Krister L

I give names to key features, especially those used as dimensioning datums. I design a lot of hinges, so I usually have an axis named "PIVOT AXIS" and a master profile sketch named "MASTER PROFILE".

Another important thing is to rename any dimension used in an equation. The reason for this is that SW "recycles" dimension names, i.e. if you delete a dimension "D1@Sketch1" from a sketch, SW will reuse the name "D1@Sketch1" for the next new dimension in that sketch. This can cause trouble if "D1@Sketch1" was used in an equation and was replaced by a parameter that does not measure the same entities.

Giving names to dimensions used in equations also allows one to swap which dimension is referenced by an equation just by changing names.

Reply to
TheTick

I usually rename features to be able to recognize the proper ones throughout the development process. It always pains me to see someone searching through a tree just to figure out which feature is the one they are looking for. Sketches inside them are left alone. Dimensions used in design tables are renamed so I know what dimension is what when adding new configurations.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hi Nathan,

I usually take the default names, unless I need to distinguish the feature alot.

Examples include:

-Key mates that make something move (for example max/nominal/min or stage_motion_x if driving with a single mate)

-Key mate planes, axes and so on.

-Some features but only when it helps or if I know that someone else will benefit from the naming.

Cases when renaming is "mandatory" (for me):

-When using a table to drive configs, I always name the dimensions that I will drive with the table. There is nothing worse for me than having a table populated with "d1@sketch1".

-Patterned items in an assembly. I avoid the pain of figuring out what the pattern is later.

-When the hole wizard does not update the description with the actual value of the actual hole, I update the description. For example when I needed to use a hole like .4377 but the hole wizard ignores the actual size and describes it as .4375 (not always this small of an amount).

Another very useful thing I have used is folders, which I always name and use them to group related items together, particularly in an assembly, but also in models (less often though).

For your basic question I would be socratic and ask "How much spare time do you have and how will anyone (including you) benefit from the naming? Is the time to create the names worth the extra perception later? If so name away, if not then don't bother"

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

I only rename very important features (including mates) such as layoutsketches and others wich has extensive consequences when changed, or if I suspect them to be changed very often during the design fase. I then name them "**SomethingUsefull". The "**" makes it easy to find what is important using RMB and "Go to".

Thomas

Reply to
TV

I must be the most anal-retentive designer on the newsgroup. I name most everything. I figure that the short time lost to typing is more than made up for by the time saved trying to understand my design when I come back to it later. I name the features and then cut and paste the name into the sketch, because every once in a while I've had trouble figuring out what a sketch was after I had deleted the feature. (This is probably not really worth it, as I usually delete the absorbed sketches anyway.) I name the sketches for profiles, paths, and guide curves so I can keep them straight. I should name mates a lot more, as it sometimes takes a bit of trial and error to find the right mates at a later date. I rarely use design tables or equations, so dimensions usually only get named when they are linked.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

I try to name everything I imagine I would want to be named when I come back to the project 2 years from now. That used to add up to naming a lot of things, but now I use a lot of folders to help keep things organized.

I use the folders to group features into something like a compound feature, with the folder carrying the name for that. Usually, the features in the folder make sense without being named. Sometimes I place a single HW hole into a folder so that the name of the hole will tell me it's size.

I still name layout sketches, and any dimension in an equation that's not obvious. Planes, axes, and other reference geometry get named if they're part of the general layout scheme. If they were created for a specific feature or a limited group of features within a folder, I won't bother.

Reply to
Dale Dunn