Inches Dimensions with a Dash?

Hello,

I am using Solidworks 2003, SP 2.0. I know this happens with earlier Solidworks versions as well:

When you dimension with feet and inches, you can get a dash, like:

12'-8"

but, when you dimension something in just inches, like "one and three sixteenths inches", it looks like this:

1 3/16"

which if you are using a non-fixed width font, looks a whole lot like 13/16" instead of 1-3/16", like I'd like it to look like.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can make this so that there will be no potential errors with someone reading my print when dimensioning in fractional inches?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I'd like to know about this also. We recently had a 4000 lb, $25,000 stainless steel tank delivered with 11/16" holes where there should have been 1-1/16" holes. Luckily the fix didn't take too long, but if they'd have been located somewhere else it would have ruined my week. I haven't looked yet but stacked fractions would likely be a suitably alternative to the dash.

Thanks Whit

Reply to
Whit

A thing like that would prevent us from using fractions at all. Why not use decimals?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

because the tap says 1-1/16, not 1.0625

Reply to
Michael

That, and some of our shops prefer not to think *too* much, and often I prefer it when they don't have to think too much.

Plus a two or three decimal place tolerance on a weldment can cost more that a 1/16" tolerance, 9 sheets with 114 parts, all that can add up to some serious money...

A dash or stacked fraction would solve the problem...

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Whit

Ok, you're using the fractional form to imply a tolerance. Nothing at all wrong with that. Maybe at times when there's a possible ambiguity or misinterpretation you could state the tolerance explicitly. I must be a genius to think of things like that. Helpful, aren't I?

By the way, have you been testing 05 Beta?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yeah, it's somehting we've always done, it's in our title block.

No time for beta testing, overworked, underpaid, need a vacation...

...does it have a dash or stacked fractions? You probably can't say...maybe you could contradict a double negative in the form of a rhetorical question to answer that for me. ;o)

Whit

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Whit

I'll declarify an answer right after I figure out what you just said.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale Dunn wrote in news:Xns951FC944ECDB7daledunnatjamestoolc@65.24.7.50:

I think a good solid "maybe" should avoid directly telling him what you can't say in a more definite way.

matt

Reply to
matt

Perhaps a continual perusal of the ideals presented will rectify our dilemma bedecked with vagueness. Perchance there being none to object to the object of our speculation, I suggest we start to move forthright to undertake our commencement without further ado . . .

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (Sean-Michael Adams) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Exactly.

Reply to
matt

Eschew Obfuscation!

Reply to
Whit

My brother has t-shirt with this on it. One day we were going through a check-out line, and the cashier asked if it was English. I was amused.

Reply to
Dale Dunn