Interface Use

I'm interested in how people use the interface, mainly in terms of general technique, customization, mouse, menus, macros, keyboard, hotkeys, other input devices.

I know we've talked about hotkeys before, but with the new 2007 hotkey interface, I'm interested if that will change anything for anyone? I think the new hotkey interface is an excellent example of good interface design. It does everything I need it to, and easily, without a PHD in interface mechanics.

Also, does anyone make regular use of the Alt-key combinations for menus and options? That would seem to be an excellent way of getting around the using the mouse, and if your memory was good, it could be way faster than the mouse too.

And I know we discuss input devices like spaceballs frequently, but there was a Microsoft Sidewinder contingent on here a few years ago, just wondering if those people are still going. I see people ask about tablets from time to time, with no positive responses.

Also if you would like to talk about color schemes that you use, I'm interested in that as well.

As you might expect, this is not for me to learn how the interface works, I like to think I know it well enough, but I'm interested in what people find useful and why.

Chime in.

Reply to
matt

I really like the new hotkey interface - does *almost* everything that I want it to do. I choose to have my backgrounds both set to white. I use hotkeys extensively, but not the Alt menu hotkeys as most of what I need is either a readily-accessible toolbar icon or a single hit hotkey. I use RMB menus a lot. I use my SpacePilot a lot and frequently reach for it when at other machines.

Overall I like the interface. I like that most things are customizable, I like that I can set a beginner mode and also an expert mode in some areas, etc. There are a few things I would like to have changed, but for the most part, it works pretty well for me.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Ok, so what do you wish it did that it doesn't do?

Other than the New dialog, what else has a beginner and expert mode?

Reply to
matt

  1. Copy list doesn't copy only items I have selected - it always dumps out the whole list. (See #2.)
  2. Copy list doesn't bring in ALL hotkeys - only those that are associated with the current open document type, so to get them all, you have to dump out the list 3 times, sort, and delete the duplicates.
  3. If you select a few lines and then RMB on a line, your selection set highlighting disappears.
  4. The search function doesn't allow modifiers, for example, you can't search for Ctrl+Z.

I like that you can change the size of the toolbar icons and change the amount/size of the tooltips. Once you know what the icons are, you can gain some real estate.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany