Irregular Patterns

sketch driven pattern jumps to mind

Reply to
kb

I'm modeling a family of parts where I have to place identical features at irregular intervals along an ordinate dimension. For example, I need to place a hole at 1.71", 3.03", 4.37", 5.73" and so on. There are typically 34 of these features to locate, usually a notch or a hole or a slot.

What I'd like to be able to do is to enter the locating dimension once, model each feature once and then propagate the feature to each of the 34 locations.

Here's a picture.

Right now, I am entering the slots and the holes as a single feature, and it's exactly the sort of mindless, repetitive task that computers are supposed to do well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
John Kimmel

Try utilizing the feature pallet. You can create the feature once and insert it where you need it at each instance.

Reply to
whynotdesign3d

The Sketch pattern comes in handy here.

Sketch Your first profile. Create your desired feature out of it.

Create a new sketch. Add sketch points at the middle of all the other locations. If they are directly in line it is nice to add a construction line and make them coincident to it. Add 34 dims for your locations.

Insert sketch pattern select your feature(s) to pattern and select the points sketck, and there you have it. No mindless redrawing of the same profile.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Reply to