Is SW really a drafting program? -Section Views

Has anybody found a way to create a half section view in SW?

A half section shows half a section line which reveals half of the interior of the part, while the other half of the part is shown as normal. If a half section is shown on a cylindrical part, one quarter of the part will be removed.

Reply to
TOP

broken out section?

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Hey Markku, I love the animation on your web site. did you made it yourself?

cheers, Gil Alsberg

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Paul,

Partial Section used to do this nicely in SW. Just draw the section line and a line perpendicular to it, and have the line used for the section selected when you hit the section view command, and allow it to make a partial section. Now in 05 and 06 it looks like it's doing some things that aren't right. I'll bet you could get a regression or two out of that one.

Matt

Reply to
matt

I'm putting together an exam and will have the students state which of these methods, broken out section, partial section or offset section will do this. In neither case does SW get it right according to ANSI standards without some serious workarounds. SE doesn't get it right as far as I can tell either.

  1. Broken out section. This will show the view correctly, i.e., 1/4 of the part removed, but it will not supply the section plane line or the labeling.

  1. Partial section. This will show the cut portion, but not the uncut portion. In other words, only half the part will be shown, and the rest will not be shown. Also the section plane line will not be shown properly because it should have an arrow showing view direction on one end and and just the section line without arrow on the plane perpedicular to the section plane.

  2. Offset section with one half the section plane shown outside the part. This creates the proper section view and the annotation (labels) but the section line and arrow that are outside the part are not supposed to be drawn. I would use this, but a halfway decent checker would not let it get by.

Here is a list of the various sections view types and whether SW can do it correctly (ANSI) with or without workaround:

Full Section SW: yes SE:yes Half Section SW: no SE: no Broken Out Section SW: yes SE: yes Revolved Section: SW: workaround SE: workaround Removed Section: SW: workaround SE: workaround Offset Section: SW: yes SE: yes Assembly Section: SW:yes SE: yes Auxilliary Section: SW:yes SE: yes Aligned Section: SW:yes SE:yes

The revolved section should be should be an option with a break line.

matt wrote:

Reply to
TOP

Paul, I've used these types of views before and just tested in SW06, so I'm a bit confused as to what you're after. I simply created an end view with a cutting-plane line that consist of two lines. One vertical & one horizontal. I pre-selected the vetical line, created a "section view" and project to the left. The result is a 1/4 section view, top half external and lower half sectioned. I do not know how to attach an image here so I'll post at the SW discussion forum. Let me know if this is what you are after. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Likewise I'll probably get around to posting some of the stuff I've come across.

Reply to
TOP

It seems to me that the reason that these systems do not provide an automatic tool for some of these view types, is lack of popularity/need. Seems to me that the last time I saw some of these views, it WAS in a text book :)

Reply to
ken

Ken,

Maybe in your world. There is a very good reason that all these section views were promulgated. They are usefull in making clear the inner features of various parts and assemblies. Secondly, they are not just in some textbook, but they are in national standards which means they aren't just theoretical, but practical and in some cases required in order to communicate. I have used or have read prints with each one of these section views in my time as an engineer. Further, being standards means that many engineers and draftsman have come to agreement on how they are defined and what they mean. This wasn't done in a corner. At any rate, the only one that SW can't do right is the half section.

Reply to
TOP

I'm not doubting you. I just can't say that I have seen half of them in the past 20 years involved in product design. May have to do with the fact that it has mostly been on 3D modeling systems though and as you or someone had mentioned, automatic full sections are a piece of cake, so their used allot.

Reply to
ken

I should post the workaround for revolved and removed sections:

  1. On a long thin part (think tube or beam) orient the long way horizontal
  2. Insert vertical break lines and drag to near the ends
  3. Place a vertical section between the break lines.
  4. In tools options, set the break gap to something larger than normal to accommodate the revolved section.This depends on scale
  5. Break the view
  6. Create a layer called blank and set it to not display
  7. Place the section line and the section caption on the blank layer
  8. Drag the section view between the breaks.

To do a removed section, skip the break line steps and leave the section view just to the left or right of the main view.

Reply to
TOP