Broken Views

Hello All,

I have a simple question (OK Wayne you're on.

What I want is the opposite if a broken view, where instead of breaking out the middle and leaving the end, I want to break off the ends and leave the middle. Before you suggest that I use a Detail View I (read the client) want the "jog" lines instead of the circle or box look.

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

You can put two breaks in a single view. This way you can show the middle part and just a small portion of the ends.

Detail views can be set to use the sketched border, so if you sketch the border with a series of ragged lines, you may get the effect you seek.

Reply to
That70sTick

Would that not be "crop" that you are desiring?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I do that with 2 breaks as suggested, that way you don't have to draw that stylish break-line zig-zag!

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Using two breaks in a single view is a method I've used for this purpose more than once.

Matt sw.fcsuper.com

Reply to
fcsuper

Muggs, Add your break lines as you usually do, then drag one of the breaks off of the part. Works for me. It even works with 2 breaks so that neither end of the part is displayed. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Thanks everyone.

Two broken views did the trick. You know, it's funny, I tried to do two broken views before i asked, and after the first one, I RMB'ed the drawing view and Broken View was not available to me in menu the second time.

Anyway, thanks all. Muggs

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

So what does this technique do that crop doesn't? I haven't compared them, but is one faster than the other? Is there any difference in rebuild with one or the other? I had always just figured that the crop view was written to do just that, so why use double breaks? If it's faster, then I may start doing it that way instead.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne, To tell you the truth, I do not know if one is faster or more efficient than the other. I have never used a double break to eliminate both ends. I have used triple breaks on very long parts having detail on both ends & the middle. In reality, if I needed to show the middle of a part w/o either end, I'd consider it a detail view. As far as cropped views go, they are most useful when a view (Ex: Front) is shown, then an end view (right or left) followed by another projection (Ex: Back), where the back view is identical to the front except for one specific detail. One of my favorites is to use a broken out section by enclosing an entire view in order to create a full section. In my work a single full section view is all that's required for many cylindrical parts. This is totally acceptable per ASME standards. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Hey Wayne,

I almost always use Detail View using a circle but this client wanted "what was on the example" and that had what I described. I tried crop but I could only use a circle, a rectangle or draw my own.

Muggs

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

It was the "draw my own" that I was suggesting that you had the option of using to create any shape desired. Throw a few squiggles around it, and away you go.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany