Ran into a possible bug here. SW2004, SP2.1 & 3.0 Please try this to confirm. I'll describe this as we found it, however, I don't think the names of the files are significant. :-)
Put a view of a long shaft in a drawing. Make the shaft long enough to make a significant break in it. This shaft has a round end keyway in it at both ends. Rotate the view so the shaft is running horizontally across the drawing. Insert a vertical break that greatly reduces the length of the view. Now try to put a dimension on the round end of the keyway at either end - won't dimension.
Now some of the observations.
- If the view is oriented such that the break is a horizontal one rather than a vertical one, all works as expected.
- If the end of the shaft is turned down and therefore has a radius at the shoulder, it also will not work.
- If a complete circle (hole) is put in, it works ok.
- Both ends work the same way.
- Another shaft or drawing doesn't change anything.
- If the view is unbroken, dimensions are ok, so unbreak, dimension, then rebreak it.
- It appears that the scale of the view relative to the sheet or drawing size doesn't matter.
- It seems that if the amount of the shaft that is removed is below some magic threshold, it still works.
- Once you cross that point, sometimes you can slide the break lines back out and it will work again. Most of the time not.
- I looked for a point of say 50% removed, but couldn't find any consistency in the misbehaving.
- I thought maybe it was related to the end of the part finally crossing over the sheet boundary, but couldn't make that be it either.
- I didn't try anything other than a round bar - flat may or may not be the same.