Broken-out section

Does anyone use this for SW2005? I have tried everything that I can think of to make it work and all I get is nothing! I can follow the help, I can sketch a spline, I can click preview, I set a depth, it creates the view in the tree, but I still can't see what's inside the piece of tubing that is the reason for it to be. It's like it thinks all is well, except that it forgot to actually do it. SW with Alzheimer's?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yeah, I've been using it. The only problem I've found is that I used to get a crash if I tried to copy/paste the view somewhere else.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

SW with Alzheimer's?

Wayne -

I assume when you click preview, you can see the "Cutting plane" (in my setup, it's yellow) in a corresponding associated view that gives you an idea where the cut will occur?

And Dale, I was able to copy and paste a broken out section view onto the same and different sheets, no problemo, with 2006sp0....

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Ok, so it does work - how about a simple lesson? This is silly - I'm usually the one on the other end.......

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Ah, a clue - you have to pick the depth entity in another view???? I figured I could just put a value in the depth box and it would cut in that far??? I also maybe now see that it won't work on an iso view????

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne-

Use them all the time, but can't in an iso... The biggest tip I can give you for normal views is that the depth you set is from the most extreme boundary of the part or assembly. As was mentioned, if your trying to breakout in a front view, set to preview and watch the yellow plane in the side or top view to see where the cut is. But like I said, if your trying to cut 1/2 way in on a part with 2 diameters, and one is 1" the other is

1.5", and you want the broken view to go to the middle, even though your spline is over the 1" diameter part your depth would have to be .75"....

Once you do it once, you get used to it...The way I do Iso's though is to create a derived configuration in the model, then create a revolved cut (or such) and have the feature resolved only in that config. Then in the drawing, set the properties of the ISO to use the derived config....

Scott

Reply to
IYM

That's how I do it, I type a value in the box. Or you can select an edge. But you can look in another view to see where that plane is cutting, if "Preview" is checked.

I tried a broken out section in an ISO view. It worked, but I got some real whacko result. Not much value. I think if you want a broken out section in an isometric view, you'll probably have to build it into your model and show it as a configuration.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Ok, I kind of got it to work. It's not quite as intuitive as one might hope for, but I can live with it. Thanks.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Uh, what they said. I learned something myself. I've never tried using it on an isometric.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

My broken out sections are usually centered on a cylindrical feature, so I simply turn on temporary axes and select the axis for the depth.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley