OT: DXF File Modification

Hello Everyone

I am looking for a solution to a DXF file modification requirement. I am going to try to explain the need as generically as possible and still give enough detail for a reply.

We have five parts that we have saved as DXF files for use in CNC programming. We want to be able to customize each part by only changing the values in the DXF file that need to be changed without having to go through SolidWorks to change the file. For example a 'D' shaped part where the only thing changing each time is the width and radius of the 'D'. I have tried creating two different DXF files of the same part by changing the dimensions between each file and comparing the results to see what changed. The hope is to be able to use output from our SAP system to drive the changes in the DXF file. Unfortunately this task is a little more than I have the time or patience to solve. I have created macros to simplify my job of creating the necessary DXF file each time but the goal is to be able to generate the DXF without my intervention.

I hope I have described this clearly enough. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. My employer is willing to pay for a custom solution if this is the right approach. Please email me at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net for more information or questions.

Regards

Mark Downey

Reply to
Mark Downey

You don't specify what type of machining is being done, but if it's something fairly simple it's possible that one of your more experienced shop guys can write a program using macros and variables - not in the drafting program byut in the machining program itself. The machining data would remain the same and all you would need to do is change the variables (not unlike changing a handful of offsets). The advantage to this approach is that you could easily machine many different versions of the same part family by changing the pertinent variables. An Excel spreadsheet could keep track of them and be posted with the job card.

moT

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

Programming with macros or variables at the machine is an option but we want to be able to nest the parts as well. Is nesting possible using macros?

Regards Mark Downey

Reply to
mdowney

Hopefully some of the more advanced programmers can answer this.

BTW, you didn't mention what kind of CNC you were using, although based on this answer I'm assuming that it's some kind of mill.

moT

Reply to
Tom Accuosti