LAPTOP with WSXGA

Hi all,

Pursuant to a previous thread on laptops I'm looking at an older dell m70 made earlier this year. (I think this because it has a Pentium=AE M Processor 755 (2.00 GHz) processor with a 400mhz fsb which I don't believe dell offers anymore)

It says it's WSXGA which is concerning me a little because of the stated resolutions of 1600x900 or 1600x1024. How does solidworks work at these screen resolutions? Does it cause any trouble?

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

I have used a 1600 pixel screen on my Dell Inspiron laptop and a 1900 pixel screen on my 2 year old M60 without a problem at all starting about 2001 to now with SWks 2005. All the Dells that I know of in the M series use only the high-end nVIDIA video cards so they should work just fine, and I've never heard otherwise.

The 1600 pixel screens are a bit more readable with menus and dialog text than when you put the same font size on a 1900 pixel screen. I have essentially 20/20 vision and love the 1900 pixel screen, but some people think the 1600 pixel is a more optimum pixel size for readability. For images, it is a hands down winner for the 1900 pixel screen as images are just that much sharper with less jagginess.

If you get a good enough deal on the M70, I'ld say take it, but if it is just a 20% reduction, then I'ld wonder if going for the next generation M series with the new Intel Yonah processor (probably the dual core option) wouldn't be a better long term buy.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I think if you were to try working at 1024 x 768 on a desktop machine, you would see the primary limitation. That limitation is a very short feature manager tree. If your laptop's screen is only 800 pixels tall, you'll be spending a lot more time scrolling in the FMT.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes, I think that's what I'm worried about. My desktop is 1280 x 1024 on a 19" lcd so going to 1600 x 1024 would be a bit of a stretch!

Reply to
Zander

I have also heard rumors that like HP laptop options and Apple's, there is likely to be a 17" LCD screen offered on the next Dell laptop. I use one on my PowerBook, and though it is a pixel resolution than I want, I know that will be bumped up on the next one I buy (which will have the Intel Yonah processor and let me run both Windows and MacOS X).

Reply to
Bo
1600 x 1024 is a wonderful screen, trust me, though we can ask for more.

Go find a "Laptop Center" in your area and just try the various screen resolutions and you will find the 1600 x 1024 LCD is a terrific screen to use. I wish my Apple PowerBook was that high, as it is 2 years old and only 1440 x 900, and I wouldn't want to run SolidWorks on this size screen routinely.

Given that I'm using 1900 pixels on a 15.4" Dell LCD, I think the expected coming laptop 17" LCDs w/1900 pixels are going to be an even better screen.

Reply to
Bo

I've seen good results with the Dell M70.

Regards, Tom Christ

Reply to
Tom Christ