Dimension over-ride?!?

Back when I first started using CAD for mold design we would get 2-d files for the part designs-mostly from ACAD.I quickly learned to re-draw the parts from the dimensions rather than using the 2-d views because the geometry could not be trusted to match the dimensions.

Now that I am evaluating SW2006, I see something in the dimension manager that reminds me of those days. It looks like we can now over-ride a dimension from the model so that our drawing can display a value different from the actual part.

My first impulse is to say that SW has gone too far in trying to emulate ACAD in their effort to appease the users they are attempting to lure.

Before I get up on my soapbox, I'll try to keep an open mind. Can somebody tell me a GOOD reason to have this ability? Only thing I can think of is when dimensioning a feature that is symmetrical, decimal precision can get in the way when dimensioning from the center and then the over-all. Any other good reasons to be able to lie about dimensions??

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

I've rarely seen anyone use only model dims to "fully" detail a drawing. That said, the ability to overide "driven" dims has always existed. Guess one could argue, "why allow driven dims to be over-ridden?" Not sure this will ease your concerns. ;)

Reply to
remy martin

Sure -

We have to do this all the time when on an assy drawing. Say an assy has five components and you want to put an overall dim from end to end on the assy , but all the components were drawn at the max dim (because company practice is to do that as you can always take more off, but can't put it on ) You would like to display the nominal on the assy drawing with a plus/minus tolerance. That is a simple reason - we also have others for it's use that on complex gearhead assemblies that must take into account tolerance stack-up, and the use of various shims that differ from assy to assy. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for it's use in other areas, but this is the first that comes to mind for me...

Scott

Reply to
IYM

I've never "faked" a dimension. I've worked in places where that results in summary termination.

I have erased the "dimension" portion and added notes like "measure here". Never EVER put in a fake number, though.

The ability to "override" a dimension is just a byproduct of the ability to add/edit notes in dimensions. Every CAD system I worked on allowed this.

I know what you mean about doing a redraw to reveal bad geometry. I've done plenty of hand drawing conversions and found many a model that was mathematically impossible by the numbers.

Sometimes the numbers can also be deceptive, like when the actual values influence one another in the 3rd or 4th place when the dimension is only 2 place.

Reply to
That70sTick

The ability to over-ride has always been in solidworks.

Respect

Reply to
cadishaq

Funny, I just noticed the box this week. I noticed it because it was keeping me from seeing the `break dimension line' checkbox and I had to scroll down to get to it.

I guess we don't look for things that we don't need. I can see where it could be used for adding/editing notes, but I wouldn't want to use it to over-ride a value.

interesting...........

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

The special override box is new in 2006. It has always been possible to simply delete the "" from the dimension and add you own number. I think the real functional difference is that the tolerance tools will repspect the number added in the override box, but not a text replacement of "".

When this appeared, I made some noise about how bad an idea I thought it was (beta forums, I think), and recommended that if they insist on including this feature, then they should also include a marker that the dimensions is not to scale, such as the customary underlining.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks for clarifying that Dale. I never thought to try and replace the ; nor would I want to. The new over-ride box got my attention, though.

I agree that there should be some marker showing that the value was over-ridden.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Ahoy Johnny, I too see yer point. But the minute ye put a safety on a man's blunderbuss he whines and cries like a wee little rug rat. So I says hand the loaded weapons t' the men. And let pain of shot teach 'em the ways o the seas!

Arrrrrrr

Reply to
cadPIRATE

Excellent point ya have mate. We all whine about over-complicated software and slow performance. Why add more overhead to an already over-loaded ship?

Arrrrrrr to you and Happy New Year. May you have calm seas and full sails.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Aye Johnny,

Yo ho ho and a tankard of ale to you too. And a happy new yer!

And may the bottom of thy enemy catch the gout !

Arrrrrr

Reply to
cadPIRATE