LONG save times 2007sp1

Greets all, recently noticed a jump in save times -- probably up to 30seconds at times. Not working on anything exceedingly large (10 part plastic assembly with some funny surfaces, but nothing this machine hasn't seen before).

I did update XP to SP3 not too long ago but I can't be sure this is when it started to happen -- could this be doing it? remove SP3?

Also recently cleared the registry for SW -- I kept losing toolbar info. Toolbar problem solved.

Am also wondering: can SW use a scratch disk to speed things up? I usually set those up when I can -- and may have in SW -- but could've lost it with the registry changes.

Thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
post

hmmm dunno for a starter how about

cleaned out temp files lately? defrag?

saving backup copies as well...edwgs data..update mass properties??

XPSP3 is supposed to be about 10% faster..

Reply to
neil

I'm not sure if the issue is related, but SW 2007 SP2.2 and prior (back to 2006) had a file size bug that bloats file sizes immensely. You may be running into one of the symptoms of that bug. Upgrade to at least SW 2007 SP3.1 if you can to see if that fixes the issue.

Matt Lor> Greets all,

Reply to
fcsuper

Tony,

Check to see how much disk space you available on the local and network (if using company directories). I started to get slowdowns as well as crashes, lockups, and huge save times (no one particular problem appeared to be causing it). If memory serves me correct I had 8-10% space available on my network harddrive and about 10% on my local workstation. Productivity was taking such a hit that in desperation I went and uninstalled a bunch of programs, backed up and copied old data, cleaned up temp files, defragged, etc.. Took 4-5 hours.

The changes to my save times have been remarkable. What took minutes (large files ) now take 10-15 seconds. Crashes went from one an hour to less than 1 a month (I'm holding my breath on this one as I've never been able to go this long without crashing). System is pretty rock solid.

What is really interesting is I've made almost 50% of my harddrive available for use but havent' been missing the "cleaned" data.

Goes to show you what bloatware and large harddrives do for users -- just because you have it doesn't mean you should use it.

My motto is now "lite and clean".

Len

Reply to
lmar