Looking for referrals that want to learn SolidWorks.

I know this is a tough group, but I just have to do it:

Silicon Valley Technical Institute

located in San Jose CA is now offering classes for those interested in learning SolidWorks. It's 12 week session runs from 6-9pm Tuesdays and Thursdays and covers basic part modeling, assembly, and drawings. We're currently running a beginner's course, but registration is open for our advanced course as well. It is the perfrect alternative for employers that cannot afford to downtime from their employee during the week.

If you know anyone that may be interested, please shoot me an e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or contact snipped-for-privacy@svtii.com.

Thanks!

Reply to
veedawg

Veed,

I invite you to make a posting here when you have graduates that don't come from a company. It's getting hard to find noobish CAD drafters these days. Either its new engineers breaking into the field (not interested in drafting), or old timers whose skill sets have moved past simple drafting. Also, for any noobs, I highly recommend covering GD&T, since having SolidWorks drafting skills without it is kinda pointless. Just some thoughts.

Matt

fcsuper

What's GD&T

Reply to
RG

Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing:

Mark

tolerancing:

-Mark- Hide quoted text -

That's actually a skill I wish I had. I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my- pants new drafter with a quarter of community college SolidWorks, some AutoCAD from high school, and now 8 months of work experience. Luckily, none of my drawings ever need to be very technical, as the parts are simple sheet metal parts. However, I'm aware that there's a whole set of technical skills out there that I'll need to utilize someday.

Reply to
silashilliard

tolerancing:

> -Mark- Hide quoted text -

Geometric Tolerancing was taught when I was in college in the 60s, and there are a lot of good books to get you started. They have applicability to sheet metal just like a lot of other machined, cast or molded parts.

Specifying parallelism, concentricity, perpendicularity and such will become second nature to you after you go through a book and then relate it to the work you do with the correct levels of tolerancing appropriate for your industry's processes.

Reply to
Bo

How can you make drawings for anything that has to be manufactored in the real world without knowing about Geometric Tolerances? But then again I build machines... so I wouldnt be able to make anything fit without them.... maybe if you where only making welded constructions you could live without. All depends on how well it needs to fit together.

They do still teach them at the University, at least I know they did

3-4 years ago, dont think that has changed. B.Sc.M.E
Reply to
Ronni