Mac's Running SW - Sort Of

A while back there was some posts/inquires about the the Intel Mac's running SW in Boot Camp and vitual machines. Some findings for those at all interested.

Have been running Boot Camp on a 2.0 Core Duo iMac and it is great so far. SW runs very well and since Apple supplied a proper video driver, the graphics are very good. GL support.

However I am now running a Mac Pro (Woodcrest processors) 3 gighertz quad core with 16 gig of ram, ATI X1900XT video runing with Parallels (a virtual machine) and it is excellent - granted video support is not Open GL and Direct X yet. It has a current memory limit of 3.5 Gig to the vm (no big surprise, Vista will certainly change that), but the folks at Parallels are humping to get it done and they are fast developers so expect these items by years end, if not sooner (Vista support is already partly done). So far Parallels gets my nod over Boot Camp and here's why.

It allows Windows to essentially be resolved to a file (it is with Boot camp too, but Parallels runs inside OS X). I built a windows instance that is clean (no apps) then cloned the instance out to the server(this is clean backup for future use). Started the instance and loaded the apps - SW included, printer drivers, mapped drives, added it to the domain. Cloned that to the server. Started the instance and went to work. If the virtual machine ever becomes mucked up in any way just kill it, copy over the server clone and restart. 2 minutes and I am running again. No pain, no fuss.

I will be shutting down my last PC (physical) on the network in about a month for good. For my purposes virtual machines make total sense and they are fast to recover if they blow up. Its no wonder they are one of the fastest growing segments of the computer/IT world.

I cannot give specific benchmark numbers, but all I can say is SW runs very fast in a virtual machine. Why shouldn't it, these Apple machines are not slouches by any stretch of the imaginaton. Again, once the GL video drivers for the virtual machine come into play - it ought to be a real barn burner! One last thing, having multiple OS' s (linux too) running at the same time is allows me to really use all the best tool for the task at hand. Windows is great at certain things, but a Linux box makes certain other tasks effortless, and yes I am biased, but in my opinion Apple has always done a stellar job with their hardware (the Mac Pro is amazing), and OS X isn't tough to take either.

Reply to
Guy Edkins

Guy, that is a damn good overview you gave.

I have been using 2006 SWks on a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp only, but it runs essentially like it does on my Dell M60 (admittedly the M65 or M90 might be faster, but I haven't tried them).

The one single thing that makes me think I will use ONLY Mac hardware in the future, is that my problems with Mac hardware have been virtually zero (except for spilled liquids & replaced keyboards: none in the last 3 years). Every computer maker has failures, but my personal experience, is that I have had to use my Dell Complete Care for serious LCD screen wiring issues that didn't work right on both my last two laptops. I'm sure Dell has fixed that, but...?

Apple does make very good hardware, because they know they have to, in order to make the grade as a serious competitor, and I can run any OS I want, and that is a major plus when you consider the alternative of toting two laptops and accessories around.

Plus with Apple, you will be using up to date wireless connectivity options and other such hardware advances, normally well in advance of the PC makers.

The articles on running VISTA on a MacBook Pro (beating the Sony Vaio) have appeared as references on

as noted here:

And a recent note on Parallels' virtualization here (but the site has been stalled because of a lot of traffic today):

Bo

Guy Edk> A while back there was some posts/inquires about the the Intel Mac's running

Reply to
Bo