Whooo hoooo its coming!!!!!!!!!

Soon I can tell Winblows to take a hike...

Well all assuming this works

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

I'm not going to hold my breath that SolidWorks will be one of the apps guaranteed to work.

Bo

Ben Eadie wrote:

Reply to
Bo

You have that right. As complex as SolidWorks is and it's tight ties to the MFC library, I would be real surprised if it worked. If it works, what will be the performance hit?

Chris

Reply to
cdubea

Its only a matter of time - word in the rumour mill is Apple will scoop everyone and "virtualize" Boot Camp with the next OS X release in ~Nov. Boot Camp is amazingly stable, I run SW perfectly.

Reply to
Guy Edkins

I too see WinXP on my 15" MacBook Pro running just as well as my Dell M60.

Sure is a pleasure not to have to lug that extra M60 and charger (about

11 lbs) around.

Bo

Guy Edk> Its only a matter of time - word in the rumour mill is Apple will scoop

Reply to
Bo

Reply to
Mr. Who

While I'm not going to do cartwheels yet, I would not be surprised if it does work. It is simply amazing what the open source gurus are able to accomplish (that is what Wine is). If it does work, I will make the switch. Solidworks is the only reason that I use Windows, and the only thing that I use Windows for. Should some other similarly priced and featured CAD system become available, it'll be real tempting do switch to that.

Mr. Who wrote:

Reply to
ed_1001

Ed, I assume you mean CAD system that runs native on the Mac OSX platform.

The guys at SolidWorks aren't behind the curve, yet it does take a lot to port to a new OS, so I'll continue with Windows, if reluctantly, though I can certainly use it on Macs now. In a way that is the best of both worlds, since Windows isolated to only running SolidWorks doesn't exhibit the problems of interacting on the web and networks that seem to bring it down all to often.

The article below, though opinion, makes a number of good points as to how Microsoft has limited itself and stopped significant growth.

I certainly do NOT look to Microsoft for anything "new" or "cutting edge", and in fact I have to protect myself when using their products because of the 'ragged dull edges' that can nick me.

Bo

ed_1001 wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Not necessarily. Runs natively on any of the *NIX platforms would make me happy (Solaris, BSD, or Linux would be preferable, however).

I've never tried it, but I'd make a fairly large side bet that that is an understatement when one of the OSs is Windows. Between two truely POSIX compliant systems, not quite so bad.

so I'll continue with Windows, if reluctantly,

True enough, but as a user, switching between OS's to accomplish different tasks is a pain. Having multiple workstations helps, but there is still the data disconnect, and multiple workstations per user is not economically feasible. Networked apps for office productivity is possible, but that too adds overhead and complexity. The best of both worlds, in my view, is SW running natively on multiple OSs. This allows the customer to decide what combination of hardware, OS, and applications fit their needs.

Ain't that the truth.

Reply to
ed_1001