Macro Write access warning

Why do I get this warning when editing a macro: Write error for macro"xxxx..." is denied. Edits will not be saved. How can I save my changes.

Thanks Warren

Reply to
Warren

I have run into this. If you are editing a macro that is on the network and someone in your group had used it before you edited it they have write access Kind of. To save your changes you may have to export to a bas each module, class and object that has been modified since you opened it. Then when you can gain access to it you can cut an paste the code from the BAS from Notepad. Or to avoid this problem I made copies of all my macro's and edit the copies then copy over the networked files when I am finished editing (technically this shouldn't work since the other user in your group has write access, but it does.) be careful when exiting VBA editor when you get this error though it has caused crashes and what not on my system, because it keeps asking if you want to save the changes, and if you answer wrong ( I think you just have to say NO for the ones you don't have write access too.) it crashes or freezes up sometimes.

Regards, Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thanks for the info. This is interesting as I'm the only user and the macro was saved on my local drive. I think our network is messed up!!

Warren

Reply to
Warren

I had this problem just the other day. I was getting an error message when I was trying to use an excellent macro written by Leonard Kikstra called CommonNotes. If I just tried to run the macro, I would get the "Can't find object" error. When I tried to edit the macro, I got the same write error message you're getting, and this macro has never been near a network.

Turns out, for whatever reason, (I think it has to do with the phase of the moon) the macro could not find the SolidWorks type library. Once I got that straightened out, now the macro works, and I also do not get the write access error if I try to edit it.

I know, not a solution - but I hope it helps....

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Is it possible that somehow it was set to Read only. It's worth a try.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

FYI I was getting the "Can't find object" error on some machines because of naming conflicts. Yet when I would debug using the compile tool it would never give me an error, making it harder to find the culprit. I also had a similar problem when accidentally naming a sub the same name as a VB function I don't recall which one but it again would compile like nothing was wrong when there was something wrong.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

In SW03, if I emailed a macro in (unzipped), depending on the O/S I was using when I retrieved the attachment, the attachment was set to Read-Only. The same went for retrieving the file off of a CD.

SW03 wouldnt say a word, just let you type and "save" for hours, only to find you saved nothing.

SW04 at least warns you.

I am *still* getting a similar error in a VB app that ran fine under SW03... I re-exported all modules, re-loaded the references, etc. I find I have to manually open a referenced Model from within the assembly to avoid the error.

Reply to
rocheey

I get this error every time I open a macro for editing, whether its on the network or local. I can save it with changes, though, so it's just a spurious message. I just figured it was a bug. Have you tried saving? You may be able to save the macro anyway, like I can.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Zuercher