Mathmatical Relations Between Two Parts

Hello, I'm new to SolidWorks comming from Pro/E. In Pro it was possible to create a relation between two parts. dxx=dyy:#

The mathmatical relation in SW is dxx=d##@FEATURE Can this be modified in some way to point to another model? If so, how?

TIA Dixon Cox

Reply to
I.M. Agamon

If you want to relate two parts the most straightforward way is through an assembly.

Reply to
TOP

I have looked this post time and time again and I still have no idea what you are trying to do. Maybe I just have a mental block, but I don't have a clue. Would you please try to rephrase your question? I don't understand the dxx, etc.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I'm still trying to figure out if either he's a victim of practical joke by his co-workers who may have changed the guys sig and post from name, or if he's serious with that....

A "from" posting of "I.M. Agamon" (I am a gay man) and a sig of "Dixon Cox" (well, you can sound that one out yourself...) :)

Reply to
<IYM>

Sorry, dyy=dxx@FEATURE (poor math notation). y & x are numbers that correspond to the dimension numbers. Think y=f(x) dyy is the target dimension and dxx is the 'dependent variable'. This method of dimmesional referrencing was picked up through my exposure to Pro/E.

Reply to
I.M. Agamon

Reply to
I.M. Agamon

What is a good online source, or help file seach parameter for pointers?

Reply to
I.M. Agamon

My aim is to relate a single dimension / feature size on one part to another dimension / feature size on another part. The dimension / feature sizes are not co-planer, so a sketch edge selection is difficult. This is entirely possible in Pro/E.

Reply to
I.M. Agamon

Actually the help in SW should be all you need:

Equations Creates mathematical relations between model dimensions, using dimension names as variables. When using equations in an assembly, you can set equations between parts, between a part and a sub-assembly, with mating dimensions, and so forth.

What this means in practice is that to relate two components (parts) in an assembly you double click the feature in the first part to show its dimensions and select one of the dimensions. Then from the Tools menu pick equations and pick add. That dimension should be automatically placed in the equation editor. Then double click a feature in the second component and highlight its dimensions and click on the one you want in the equation. Then complete the equation.

In order for this to work both the parts and the assembly have to be loaded in memory.

Reply to
TOP

Thanks! This is what I was looking for.

The same holds true in Pro, to some extent. If the referenced model is not in memory upon regen the dimension holds the last known value as static. Only if you edit the relation will the dimension be changed.

Thanks much again.

Dix

Reply to
I.M. Agamon