Offset curves on a surface

Is there any way to make a parametric offset to a curve on a surface? ie the offset still resides on the surface. We can then control the offset dimension for different configurations.

Reply to
Phil Evans

Sorry, 2007 SP5

Reply to
Phil Evans

You're not going to like this...

Make a sweep surface using your original curve as the guide curve. Section is a circle centered on the guide and radius = offset distance. Intersection of face and sweep surface = offset curve (roughly).

Reply to
That70sTick

Here are two workaround methods using a trim or split and offset surface to get the offset curve/edge..

I know this has been requested in the past and it clearly is not a priority for the majority of users but I would guess this is accessible thru the api?

..

Reply to
zxys

and, another option with the face split, select the edge,.. use the Ruled Surface, Normal To.

..

Reply to
zxys

That might work. Obviously it is not a true offset but our curvatures are large so the difference in the true offset and this type of offset would probably still be within manufacturing tolerances.

Thanks

Reply to
Phil Evans