Opening read-only items

I recently changed my settings so that referenced documents are loaded read-only, and it doesn't prompt to save them.

In an assembly, if I want to change a component, I can just RMB it and select reload to turn off the read-only flag. So far so good.

My problem is with drawings of assemblies. If I open a drawing of a top-level assembly, everything is loaded read-only, but there then seems to be no way of selectively changing components' read-only flags so that they can be edited. Even if you do a "file-open" on an assembly component, it still opens it read-only.

The only solution seems to be to close the drawing, open up the assembly for write-access and then open the drawing again. Is there a better way?

TIA John H

Reply to
John H

John, We work like this all of the time because we have several users working off of the network files. (I know it isn't recommended, but it's worked for 10 yrs.) Off the top of my head, here are 3 answers for you.

  1. Open the file you want to work with and then reload it read-only.
  2. Open the file you want to work with and then just save it. You'll be prompted a few times about it being read-only, but you'll still be able to save it.
  3. Turn on Enable multi-user environment, and Add shortcut menu items for multi-user environment under Collaboration in your system options. This will allow you to right-click a part or assembly and load it with write access.

Just remember that if you have multiple people accessing files at the same time, If two people are editing a part read-only at the same time, the last one to save it wins.

Reply to
yawdro

Reload allows you to select individual components to toggle read- only. Just click the "Show References" button.

Reply to
That70sTick

If you are in a situation where there is more than one person with access to the files. The files that are to be modified should be renamed with the new revision number and given read/write access all released files should be permanently read only in the archive.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Thanks - I hadn't noticed that you could reload from the "file" menu, I'd only seen it by RMB on an assembly component.

John H

Reply to
John H