OT - Backup to DVD

Hello All,

Well, I've been on my own for one full year (almost 10-10-03), and I want to backup my client files to DVD.

I have the full version of Nero which I love for CD's, but whenever I burn a DVD, it's hit or miss as to whether I can read those DVD back or not. I'm making a lot of coasters. My question is: Is this an inherent problem with DVD data disc's or should I be looking at different software to do the job? What do you all use as a backup?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hmmm. I've been using a copy of Nero 5 that came with my writer since March. It almost never fails automatic validation after writing. In the few cases where I've gone to the backup discs, everything was fine. I've been using DVD+R disks from some manufacturer I've never heard of, and Memorex DVD+RW, both 4x on the 8x writer (Nero burns them at 4x). Ironically, I can't get it to erase a CD-RW.

Have you tried intentionally slowing down the write speed? Other disc manufacturers?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yeah, I've never tried to slow down the burn speed, that's a good idea. Using Memorex DVD +R

Thanks Dale, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

I use roxio ez cd creator 5 still; it burns dvds as well, very reliably . I use a sony dvd burner and sony dvd rw. from what i've read at doom9, dvd rw are more reliable than dvdr. whenever I back up I use the slowest speed too. if you throw a couple of jpegs on the dvd you can quickly double check the burn

stay away from no-name brand dvds. for a few cents saved you risk losing everything you put your dvd- might as well put it in the recyling bin

Reply to
Laz

I use an LG GSA-4081B Drive and so far I've used both Datawrite DVD-R and Memorex DVD+RW media burned using the B's Recorder Gold software that came with the drive without producing a single coaster!

Kev

Reply to
Kev Parkin

Hi, Maybe you should try using a backup program, like Backup4all for example (

)It has a built-in DVD burning support and also you can this way spare some space by archiving (or if it exceeds in size a DVD you can use disk spanning)

Reply to
Claudiu Spulber

Well, Updateing my firmware solved my problems. Now EVERY time I insert a data DVD the disc is readable, even ones that I thought were coasters. Also, Thank you Claudiu, I love Backup4all, and I purchased it today, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank You All, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

You welcome, I'm glad I could help.