OT Flash Hard Drives Are Coming Soon

Here's an interesting article.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell kirjoitti:

Nice to have a faster data access, but there's always bottle necks somewhere...Give me faster network!! :-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

I've seen a rumor Apple's MacBook Pro's may have the Boot OS & Applications on Flash Memory and still have a hard drive for data.

Quicker is better in my world.

Bo

Markku Lehtola wrote:

Reply to
Bo

This is one of the BIG things coming which will spur me to actually purchase a laptop. Next year is looking excellent for laptops.

Hard Drives with flash for > Here's an interesting article.

Reply to
Mr. Who

Speaking of having the OS & applications on flash memory, has anybody seen this product? The Pepper Pad

It has it's OS & applications in flash memory and is 'instant on' when you hit the power button. It also has a 20Gb hard drive for your data. Being a LINUX user myself, I took an interest in this product a little over a year ago when I heard it has a LINUX OS on it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

Hello Richard-

Do you use Linux as a server? That's what I'm interested in.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

For a Linux server to replace a windows 200 or NT server, look at

I have been using this distribution (SME Server) for several years now, and have had no problems in plugging it in as a Windows replacement. It is easy to set up, acts as a Windows server, internet gateway, web server, and mail server. Administration is by a web page. Many enhancements are available as well, from groupware to fax and multimedia streaming servers. Hardware requirements are minimal. Currently, we use a Pentium-1/600 with 64Mb of RAm, and 30Gb Hard disk to support six users. Licensing is GPL.

Regards,

Ivan the Lurker

Reply to
Ivan

No, I don't. But take a look at what Ivan has posted about the SME Server. I've never used it personally, but have heard it works really well.

Reply to
Richard Charney