OT: Lost XP disc?

Howdy, I've decided to build a new computer for the house, since my old one is giving me fits I'm going to retire it. When I built to old one I installed an OEM copy of XP PRO which I bought from Newegg... well since then I've misplaced (lost) the disc.

I've been reading on the net that I can use "any" XP disc as long as I have the CP Product Key from the existing install. Is this true? I have an XP Pro disc available, I just wanted to check if this is OK, or should I shell out the extra $$

Thanks

Reply to
WC

In practice I've found that yes, as long as the media is the same (OEM Pro, not Home, or Corp), you can use the same key. However, SP2 keys are not compatible with original XP or SP1 integrated discs. I've tried a legit Home SP2 key with both a copied Home original and Corp Pro disc and neither worked. So in short, same version, OK; different version, no guarantee.

Reply to
deimos

If all that fails and you actually registered XP (not just activated) you may be able to request new media for much less than the cost of a new license. I'm not sure how to go about it, but my first thought would be to search the MS support site for "lost install disk".

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks for the replies.

My concern now is if I try to install it and it won't for whatever reason, will it cause more headaches trying a second disc (ie newly purchased)?

From what I've read on the MS site I need either the old, damaged disc or Proof of Purchase...I think the receipts are with the disc...smart huh? I'll shoot them an email and see what they say, "in person"

Thanks

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
WC

FYI you won't like what they say.

An OEM licence ( your previous PC ) is technically non-transferrable to a new PC, they are intended to live and die with the PC. Retail copies are somewhat more liberal in transferability. I've had to call in and get a new activation code for OEM XP, the only thing I seem to have done is swap too many USB peripherals within too short of a period. XP was considering them as hardware changes ( mainly they were memory sticks, whose category has since been changed, as I understand ).

Reply to
Brian

Good point. This all began as a parts replacement trip to Fry's but once there I decided it would be almost as sensible to just replace the old one, almost.

Thanks

Brian wrote:

Reply to
WC