Oval of Cassini

Hello All,
I'm trying to cut a sphere to give me two identicle surfaces (like a
baseball).
I know it's called an Ovel of Cassini, but what I need to do is figure out
what it looks like from a side view so I can split the surface of the
sphere.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Muggs
Reply to
Muggs
is a good start. Search the site for "baseball" for more interesting stuff. Look also for "ying-yang" (?sp).
Reply to
Jeff Howard
"Jeff Howard" wrote in news:dRYue.8725$hK3.778 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
Look in Mike Wilson's examples.
In the curve driven pattern examples, he has a good approximation of a baseball. Or were you aware of this, and need to create an exact model?
Reply to
Dale Dunn
Thanks Jeff!
Reply to
Muggs
Thats where I saw it. Thanks Dale, I new I saw one somewhere.
Muggs
Reply to
Muggs
Here you go,...
.. 8^)
Reply to
Paul Salvador
Paul,
That's very cool.
I'll say this much for ya. You have a real talent for finding simple, visual, solutions to complex geometry problems.
Regards
Mark
Reply to
MM
Interesting, you can substitute a parabola for the arc and still get a reasonable result.
The next trick is to do a flat pattern layout.
Paul Salvador wrote:
Reply to
P.
Paul,
Why the 4" dia dimension on the arc? I created a similar part that had that arc coradial to the profile of the ball and it worked. At least it seems to be the same geometry, I could be overlooking something.
devlin
Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX
Paul,
Why the 4" dia dimension on the arc? I created a similar part that had that arc coradial to the profile of the ball and it worked. At least it seems to be the same geometry, I could be overlooking something.
devlin
Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX
I've been away, but thanks to all who responded. Very interesting.
Muggs
Reply to
Muggs