PDMworks Installation

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying PDM works and my VAR is trying to tell me that I need them to come on site and set things up for a hefty fee. I'm wondering if anyone out there has set up PDM works on their own and if it is overly difficult.

I was somewhat taken aback by this stance by the VAR as PDMworks comes with Office Pro,surely it can't be that difficult to set up.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reply to
Freedom Elz

Ask for a trial of PDM/works

I got given a 30day trial account through our VAR, it was quite alot of time imho to get a feel for it. And with a mix of forum posting and contacting my VAR tech dept i managed to get a great feel for free.

cadpo have a online course system called i.get.it, there is a section for pdmworks that is quite indepth. I suggest doing this course then re enacting the tasks it has with your own design data.

solidworks comes with a really basic tutorial for pdmworks. In solidworks goto the help menu, select online tutorial and select pdmworks....probably need it installed to have access.

H> Hi,

Reply to
LostminD

It is not that hard, but "play" with it for a while before committing your documents to it. I set mine up myself, with a lot of help from guys (and girls) , here!

It is very robust, but like all important software, BACK it UP, regularly. Omega is good, as it allows unlimited file revisions.I.e., no file overwrite.

IF something does go wrong, (once in 3 years for me, but it was xp's fault), STOP, don't DO anything and contact your VAR.

Now I am a bit thick concerning document control software, being previously an electronic engineer, not a mechanical one, and even I managed it!

Look especially, at Matt's site, for "MUST" do guidance, I'm sure you can find the link here in a previous post.

It's looks hard, but 2005 is even easier than the 2003 version I started with. I think there is even a tutorial on it.

It's bit harder to set-up on a server, but not too hard.

Good luck, you will wonder how you managed without it!

Remember if you get stuck, just ask here, no question is stupid, is just that someone else knows the answer, not you!!

Revision? what's a Revision???

:-S

Reply to
pete