PDMWorks Revisioning Help

Hello All!

I'm trying to implement a really simple PDMWorks setup but I am a bit confused. I want a simple revisioning scheme of 00-99. Each time a user checks in a file I want it to check in at the same revision it was check out unless the user explicitly changes it. I also want to have a history of the file for every checking....but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Everything I try ends up causing the revision to automatically get bumped at each checking.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Dave

Check out your Vault Admin setup.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

Any suggestions as what specifically to look for in the Vault Admin setup.....

~ds

Tim Markoski wrote:

Reply to
Dave

I would say the best thang to do here is call your VAR and refer to PDMWorks help file or training course.

It's not that we can't help you, but that these are pretty basic questi> Any suggestions as what specifically to look for in the Vault Admin > setup.....

Reply to
fcsuper

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

PDMWorks stores revisions as separate files in the vault. The only way to keep a history of every checkin (for viewing purposes I'm assuming) is to allow the revision to get bumped. If you need just the 00-99 as the Primary revision, but want to maintain that viewing history, use the Secondary revision 00.01, 00.02, etc. to store this info.

If all you want is to be able to know who is checking what files in (a line in the database for example) and only need to view the Released revision 00-99 then you can use the Working Copy (adds a + symbol to the end of the revision by default) which will overwrite itself until the user manually forces to the next primary revision. The checkin history will still be there, though.

Hope this helps,

Steve O

Dave wrote:

Reply to
SteveO

To go with this, when you check in to PDMWorks using the "Read From File" version level, I wish it would also place the previous revision text into the table. Most of the time, your description is going to be the exact same as what you are overwriting.

(A different) Dave

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Dave Nay

Not possible. Use working copy (+) instead.

FWIW, in 2005, using "read from file" would randomly corrupt the "as-built". Since this experience, we never use "read from file".

Reply to
kenneth

ReadFromFile is available from the Client UI dropdown when checking in a document.

You have to manually set it for each file. It is impossible to automate via the Vault settings. The ReadFromFile revision option doesn't work for checking in documents via the API either. It will generate an error every time.

Reply to
Tim Markoski