PhotoWorks lights- c photon, g photon

While looking into new junk in PWx 2005, there are new settings for the lights that reportedly interact with global illumination. The most mysterious are G Photon and C Photon. I could not find any mention in a search of the the help about what they mean (the only suggestion is to fiddle with them along with other settings until you get the rendering you want!!... insert profane editoral comment here) A google search of those terms came up pretty empty (I figure that 'C Photon', the band out of Sarejevo, is not what they were refering to). Searches of 'C photon light' and 'C photon rendering' also did not seem to deliver any enlightenment, though I admit I did not spend more than ten mintues looking at the results and I suppose I could have missed soemthing

Anyone got any ideas before we (again!) have to go into rigourous controlled tests to reverse engineer the software to see what its suppsoed to do?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Maybe a silly notion, but what about directing that thought to your VAR, who should pass it along to SW, or go there directly. There might just be some help from that direction....

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You might want to contact the folks at

abo G Photon and C Photons.

I understand PhotoWorks is run off their engine.

FYI. I contacted them a while back, asking them when Lightwork images(.lwi) will be usable in Photoworks and they told me sometime in the future.

Reply to
scota

I had a play around a little while back with these (way back when I had spare time), and I believe the C Photons are used when the Caustic Illumination is activated, and G Photons are used when Global Illumination is activated (all activated thru the Rendering Options). By increasing the number, the effects got more detailed, if I recall correctly. Can't tell you much more than that, though.

Been a while since I used them - we're still running SW04 here and I was trying to evaluate the new SW05 features.

A.

Reply to
Adam Wood

You've beaten me Ed - I can't even find the G photon or C photon in the PW menus or in the lighting folder. Could you explain where it is or are you just jesting and talking about the SW's G spot :-). Many have looked but none have found it.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

PW2 is no longer using Lightworks but uses the Mental Ray renderer, I think.

Regards

jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Ed - you've beaten me - I can't even find the G Photon and C Photon or are you just jesting with us and talking about the SW G spot and C spot :-)

Seriously - where is the G photon in the PW menus etc.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Nothing on Telly tonite - - so I have looked harder and I can report I've found the G spot in PW - I've also looked around the Lightworks site and found quite a few HDR pics to use in the 'sphere'

Seems SW has leapt off Lightworks just at the wrong moment as the Lightworks has all sorts of add-ins for mold textures and RAL colours etc while the Mental -Ray site is of no use at all.

Just our luck eh !!

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Yup, they are exactly as Adam said. This is a huge help - you saved me from blowing a lot of time adjusting C when I am messing with global illumination and vice versa. Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

No problems. :-)

I can't wait for us to upgrade to 05 so I can play around with it more. These are the sort of controls I've been wanting for a while. Now I can finally make metal detectors look good. ;-)

A.

Reply to
Adam Wood