PW gone wild!?

PW gone wild!? Check it out, PW bombs (random) on a render but SW2005 is still running in the background consuming mass amounts of memory until it runs out of memory and dies!!!

Sadly, (like most problems) I can NOT consistently reproduce this but it does it randoming... our subscription $ at work?!?!

Hey SW Corp, cute, well written program(s)!?!?!?

Let's all waste some more time!??? POS!

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hi Paul,

Have you checked the memory control thing in the PW settings? I was playing with scenes and indirect illuminations and was STAGGERED by the amount of memory that PW kept using - with every small change to the scene or options the memory used would rocket. But I think the limit setting seems to work - at least so far as I can tell.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - Factory

I understand, Lee, or at least I thought I understood from past renderings or maybe I've been lucky until now?

I can assure you this, these test files will render with no problem, usually. What I think is happening is the calculation is going south depending on the angle of the view or how the rays calculate? But, this is the problem, I can re-render the same view another time, over and over again, and it will not crash. So, the calculation seems to randomly be at fault or my hardware (memory) opens a hole randomly or M$ is randomly at fault?

But, yeah, to be fair, in these test cases, I'm using it every so often and in these specific crash in sp5, I did not set a maximun, it was set at the default. I'm not working with a large assembly, the object(s) being rendered for test are, a boeing 757 (5megs) and audi-tt (~20megs) (surface models, like most of my models), imho are not that complex (I've rendered

100-200meg surface parts which "did not crash" and "I did not" set a memory limit). I find it very odd that a app can run out of memory and shuts down like what I've seen.

You're right, it does help but I've seen SW crash with it on as well. Again, the above tells me that something else is happening, randomly? Maybe the PW render engine is at fault or cosmic rays screw up the calc? How can SW shutdown or how can PW be at fault shutting down SW? IIR, memory allocation is set and caching is for unloading extra memory as it nears the allocation, but if you see, there is still room for the program to unload memory to the virtual drive. I never heard or saw disk drive activity during these crashes. I'm sure SW can blame MicroSoft? The maximum memory setting is a way to unload memory at a set limit and that is fine but, the app should be managing this and the app should not be terminating when it still has resources to unload memory? SW should be shutting down PW, not PW shutting down SW!?

My conclusion is it's a stability issue with both PW and SW.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador