Quality of Software - Survey

wrote:

Yeah, jonnie boy has worked on at least 3 different corners, holding three different signs? 1- "will wurk fur pizza" 2- "someone find my o.b." 3- "buddy, could you spare a buzzword?"

The level of quality was extremely satisfactory in 99 (feature completeness was not). Service seems to vary from VAR to VAR. Our first VAR was very responsive... they went out of business.
I think that there must be a large number of users who just go to work and then go home without caring how much of their time is wasted, or else they are only casual users.
I would love to see actual survey data concerning customer satisfaction for all the major CAD players. But a proper survey is probably too expensive to undertake for anyone actually interested in the results.
Myself, I'm sliding more and more toward CAD-quality fatalism. CAD sucks, I'm going back to work.

Beats standing at a drafting board all day, day in and day out.......

I couldn't do that anymore if I wanted to. My last electric eraser died a couple years ago.
jk
I've been using SW since version 97 and I have to say.... I really love using it and it really is great seeing just how much it's changed over the years in terms of functionality.
Now, before the eye rolling begins, this is not to say that its without its fair share of flawS. if there's one thing I know form using it more than 10 years it's this. SOLIDWORKS HAS ITS FLAWS!!!! But I have never heard of perfect CAD software of any version by any name. It's the question of how much progression do we want vs stability? I guess the other hypothetical question is how much imperfection along with progression is the perfect balance? Who knows..... everyone has different opinions about this.
Anyways, I seem to be going on a tangent here.
For anyone, including top Sw exectutives that believe there are no ongoing issues\problems, let me say this...
THEY HAVE NOT USED SOLIDWORKS IN A PRODUCTION ENVIROMENT WITH BOSSES, DUE DATES, TIMELINES, CHANGES, REVISIONS,ETC... FOR A LONG PEROID OF TIME.
Sitting down to model a tutorial or work with it for a week means absolutely nothing.
Come talk to me when they have concepted, modeled, designed, detailed, released, prototyped, redesigned, changed, and then updated models and drawings again for release. My point is it's actually using solidworks in a work enviroment is where you'll begin to completely understand where the users are coming from.
Well, I guess I ranted long enough. I have coworkers that have been using Solidworks for years with questions like these sometimes daily\weekly
1) I'm working on this assembly and drawings and get a "A component is in Rollback position" error.     How do I fix this?
2) Why am I getting a "Failed to save document" error     How do I fix this?
3) Why don't my cosmetic threads display correctly in my drawing?     How do I fix this?
4) Why don't my Datums in drawings stay put?     How do I fix this?
5) Why can't I reattach a dangling dimension in a drawing?     How do I fix this?
6) I get a "No bodies are selected in feature scope" when creating holes. I have bodies selected.     How do I fix this?
7) Why is it everytime I load an assembly "lightweight" something doesn't work properly or drawings aren't right?     How do I fix this?
8) Why do my hole callouts sometimes not give me the abiltiy to change the precision on certain values?     How do I fix this?
9) Why did this feature fail.... It worked the last time I opened this file?     How do I fix this?
10) WHY IS IT WE WASTE SO MUCH TIME DURING THE DAY TRYING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS LIKE THESE WHEN USING SOLIDWORKS!!!! ;)
PLZ forward this to any exectutive and I will galdly be available to answer any of his\her questions.
Don Norgren Automotive
Don, I feel your pain with the numbers of other users.
I did want to add one other item.
Why will SolidWorks corp. or VAR's share their expertise in the usage of their software and come out to users sites and see the pain that we are in? A simple trip to a users location could itentify and solve users issues when emails and phone chats will not! I am not talking about the small issues, but the issues that we cannot resolve in a phone call or ten. You need to see how we are using your software and why we are doing it the way that we are doing to provide help. Help is all that we are asking for, not a phone call/email run around. iQ

This has been my feeling as you and others expressed. You guys see it a lot more because you have a large crew of SolidWorks users who remind you every day when something goes wrong.
Large software companies often send their people into their customers facilities to work with them for weeks to verify what the actual operating environment on the ground is seeing. I haven't heard of SolidWorks doing anything like that, but I think it would give them enourmously valuable feedback.
I'm using 2006, though I paid for the 2007 upgrade, and I just can't justify starting use of 2008 early on in the year. Experience has told me not to upgrade at least until Summer, as I can't afford the inefficiency.
I hope SolidWorks personnel might take some advice from a few people with better business management sense than me:
1. Peter Drucker: "The bottleneck is always at the top of the bottle." ............There must be direction from the CEO & Board, or nothing is likely to change.
2. Warren Buffett: "The business schools reward difficult complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective." ............If there is no willingness to use a simple onsite customer audit, there is likely little change to come.
3. Steve Jobs: "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." ............If there is no true understanding of "how it works." in real customer's hands, there will be no true Software Design improvement.
I want to see SolidWorks improve in usability. I can easily face a year without new features. I simply think major upgrades every year is too intensive to properly debug before giving it to users and then users having to relearn and do workarounds too much. It is a mess. Neither Apple, Adobe or Microsoft give yearly upgrades to their major software.
Yearly major upgrades appear to me to be an item forced by the Board of Directors demands for increasing sales each year & the CEO and CFO structure "major upgrades" yearly to meet the Board's demands.
I think it is nearly impossible to do a yearly major release and get it bug free enough to be truly a first class product. I would vote for a 2 year cycle, but of course a CEO who tried that would likely cause the CEO to be fired.

It's interesting that Jeff Ray mentioned some very high number (100-200 sticks in my mind) of customer visits that he made in the last year. Is he a slow learner? Do people lower down the ladder cherry pick the customers he visits? Do customers feel that speaking out about issues would be rude?
I know, from talking to people at SWC, that they make a fair number of customer visits. Why doesn't our pain get through to the people writing code? I suspect that a good part of the reason is that there isn't a mechanism to move that information and prioritize it. Perhaps SWC people visiting customers need to have a method for finding out what our worst issues are and how we would rank them, then a method of combining them all, like enhancement requests.
Jerry Steiger
Matt,
I know your VAR would come out to your site for a 1/2 day or a day if you only pick up the phone and call them!

Nice list, Don. I think we need to have lists like this when we get a chance to talk to people from SWC. When they've got thousands of bugs, they need a way to prioritize them. Getting hate lists from some representative customers ought to help. My problem is that I forget the problems I've been having and end up mumbling vague generalities. Here are the ones I can think of right now:
1) Why do mates decide to flip? What idiot came up with the automagic repair that seems to always pick the wrong stuff to change?
2) Why do fillets break when I've made some change on the opposite end of the part that doesn't share any faces?
3) Why do mutual trims change selections when I make some upstream change? Why do they sometimes fail when they worked before? Why do they sometimes work if I reselect exactly the same way? Why do I sometimes have to delete them and redo them in exactly the same way to get them to work?
4) Why does the Feature Scope lose bodies?
Jerry Steiger

This is another good list. I have to agree with the other guy who listed cosmetic threads as being bothersome. I find myself wasting a lot of time sorting out problems with them.
One other thing I would like to mention in regard to getting value for my subscription is the quality of our VAR's. I don't call for tech support very often. Most of the time when I call it is to report or confirm something I see as a bug. My old VAR got bought out by a larger company. I am beginning to think that their support people are specifically instructed to NOT recognize bugs. They argue and give bad excuses for what to me are inexcusable results from our software. Here I am trying to help make the software better and I get nothing but resistance. In summary I am paying for the priviledge of performing quality control and then get nothing but crap from the representatives of the folks that I am paying. This really sucks.
jk

Very displeased here!
It should be illegal to sell a product under false pretense then charge for the service packs to fix the faulty product.
The upgrades/new releases should have an upgrade fee but not the service packs that fix a faulty product. The fixes should be part of the original purchased product.
Sounds like a good class action law suit to me.
Joseph
That sounds like most politicians. They tell you they'll do this to get your vote and then once elected do totally the opposite. The only time they did what they said was the governer of PA said he would raise taxes when elected AND THEY'RE STILL GOING UP.
Joseph wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:26:45 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

LOL........straight from the mouth of an inexperienced beginner....
"I'm trying to finish The SolidWorks Bible" - Jon Banquer - Aug 8, 2007
"I just spent $600 for the SolidProfessor Professional Bundle SolidProfessor pretty much adheres to a 100 percent hands on tutorial approach. So far I'm very happy with the SolidProfessor video tutorials and feel it's money well spent. " - Jon Banquer - June 25, 2007
"I've been away from SolidWorks for almost ten years. At this point I spend the majority of my day on SolidWorks 2007. The program has changed so much in ten years that I'm still way behind where I need to be." -Jon Banquer - Aug. 26, 2007
As one of the Three Amigos that trekked to Concord in August of 2001 I can say that the receptiveness of the management to this forum has seemed to have gotten worse since then. Now it is abundantly clear to experienced users that SW is buggier and slower than ever. However, SWx appeal now is to a different audience than it had five or ten years ago. SW is selling more and more to management types in multiple seat sales where in the early days it sold to single seat users quite a bit. Bugs or no bugs, SW is easy to learn and slowness is masked by many new users with low expectations. And lest we forget, SW is a company that is in business to make a profit. Profit comes by selling. It would be hard to imagine SW selling itself as the software that has been 4% slower with each new release ten years running.
Second, I have seen people use SW for years, suffering with various problems either due to lack of knowledge of what the software could do or unaware of proper procedures. They suffer without complaint. In short, many people will simply refuse to complain due to lack of awareness or a willingness to make waves.
Third, SW has shifted where it gets input. Most of its input sources are now managed. This forum has been decimated by SW own forums, the blogosphere and other tamer forums. SW creates and manages focus groups. SW has hired away many of the top guns that used to populate the newsgroup. So while this newsgroup remains the only truly free forum, many of the heavy hitters have moved on elsewhere.
I will also say this. I have seen installations where SW has taken off and been used quite successfully and other installations where it has in all honesty flopped. While SW is easy to learn, it still takes some doing to get it to work well and this knowledge is not necessarily common or easy to come by. The choices people make, and SW provides many choices, largely determine the user experience in any particular application. VARs certainly can greatly influence this side of things and SW seems to have greatly improved the quality of VARs, at least in my area.
TOP
SW will eventually create a worldwide brainless utopia of prepared thoughts and affirming user groups and eliminate all defective free thinkers
this is easier and more satisfyingly righteous than eliminating defective software...

Wow, is that description referring to the democratic party in the US or perhaps all the sheep that populate the European Union?
I think it's more like the realm of all US politicians rather than just one party or the other.
madcadman wrote:

Do you have any actual complaints of your own?

What does any of that have to do with YOUR lack of any original response? Every complaint you've listed in this topic is a copy/paste from somebody else. You've become too lazy to even <pretend> to have valid complaints. Do you even use SW08?