PhotoWorks Alternative?

Is everyone here using a PhotoWorks produce renderings?
If not what are you using?
I looked into the new Alias ImageStudio, but was talked out of that
option by the dealer. Instead, he sugessted a stripped down version of Maya.
Hmmmm....
I've been using Lightwave 3D since version 5, and think it produces beautiful renders. It's much more than just a renderer however.
Not sure of the cost of Maya or anything else, LW[8] is about $1500.00.
www.lightwave3d.com
www.newtek.com
MT
On 19 May 2004 09:03:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@symetrixaudio.com (GT) wrote:

I use PW2 all the time. Is there something you're not getting out of PW2 that's causing your trek toward other software? Curious.
Jeff Mowry Industrial Designhaus, LLC http://www.industrialdesignhaus.com (Remove "GETRIDOFTHIS" from email address)
GT wrote:

www.okino.com offers rendering software that is full compatible with SolidWorks models. I believe it runs around $1000. I'm not sure of it's rendering quality but the website images are good.

I use PolyTrans from Okino (conversion software without the renderer) to convert SolidWorks models to *.OBJ files, and then bring them into Lightwave 3D. All texturing is done in Lightwave.
If you buy the SolidWorks add-in, PolyTrans will "grab" the open part in SW and automatically bring it into PT. You can then save it in many, many different poly mesh outputs.
Never used the NuGraf renderer, though it looks very nice. Like I said before, Lightwave is more than just a "renderer"... It's a full on animation package. Fundamentally, there is NOTHING you cannot do once in Lightwave. Really need to look their website and study the images and animations to get a full appreciation for it's power. It's amazingly simple to use (with the prerequisite reading of doc's and the many books available). Using Lightwave is a religion for some, it can become very addictive.
If I had my way, I would spend all my work time in SW and LW exclusively.
Mike T.
On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:37:06 -0400, "Rob Rodriguez"

if you feel a bit adventurous you can try using open source (free) Blender. www.blender3d.org this requires you to export as VRML files. see these examples I picked of technical type renders done using blender to give you a feel for its ability. http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t%054 http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t#172&postdays=0&postorder=asc&startE
Hiya Depends on what you want to do - I use Maya Complete (the "stipped down" Maya? - 1500), but it is a PIA to get even simple good looking renders out of - totally different workflow to Solidworks, but the additional possibilities are endless - Maya is more of an environment for producing completed video/film sequences - 99% of which you won't need for static pictures or simple animations of single objects. From what I've seen, 3D Studio Max or Viz are better for industrial design - faster to getting good looking results from the box and more intuative for the standard Windows user. Solidworks is light years ahead of Maya for ease of interaction and "no brainer" solutions for user interaction.I've also heard very good things about lightwave, but haven't used it since Windows 3.11, so have no relevant comments! One thing with Maya is that is can use the Mental Ray render engine -the same as used in Photoworks, but without the eons of time and hassle required. Results from this can be cracking (see www.bxhdesigns.com for examples from Photoworks). Version 6 of Maya apparently supports STL files, which gives a smooth flow from Solidworks to rendering. However, unless you are looking to integrate your models in animations or sales flics, I'd look elsewhere than Maya: 3D Studio MAX (www.discreet.com) 3D Studio VIZ (www.discreet.com) Lightwave (www.newtek.com) Cinema 4D (www.cinema4d.co.uk)
Also look at the Flamingo renderer for Rhino - combined with the forthcoming Bongo animation system, it provides a pretty simple route to getting pretty good results. Hope it helps Deri