Photoworks

I can't seem to activate the Photoworks plug-in. When I try to turn it on, the box comes up for me to enter the serial number; and the program locks up. Does it require internet access? The machine that I have installed on is a company machine and we do not have internet access; my employer is very techno-paranoid. Any information would be very helpful. My boss seems to think that I am not doing something correctly, but I have followed all of the recommended steps. I have not had any problems with any of the other plug-ins. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Stewart

Sorry forgot to mention: Solidworks 2004 on Windows XP Pro

Reply to
Robert Stewart

Robert,

What happens when you enter the serial number ???? Do you have the number ???

Photoworks is an extra cost option. I think you may me able to install it even if you don't have the number, but it won't work. You can purchase the license from your VAR. I think it's around $500.00 - $600.00 U.S..

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

If you have Solidworks Office it is included but if you have only Solidworks it is an extra addin. If you are going to spend the 600 you might want to pay a little bit more and get office.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

It is Solidworks 2004 Office Professional. Yes I have the serial number and we did pay for the Photoworks add-on.

When I try to enable Photoworks, the program shows the dialog box to enter the serial and then freezes. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to end the program. I suspect that you must have internet access to activate Photoworks, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Robert Stewart

Robert,

You could be right. If web access is "reguired" it's a terrible PR move on the part of SW. It's also mega dumb. Many large companies don't allow internet access to employees. Or they have their firewalls set up to deny certain kinds of connections initiated from the inside.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Robert,

Just unplugged my network cable and PW still works. So if internet access is required, it's for activation only. Still,,, it really stinks. You paid for that stuff !! There shouldn't be any restrictions like this.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Whatever the issue, the VAR really should be moving mountains to get this taken care of.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Robert:

Don't try to install Photoworks as a separate add in. Instead, reinstall SolidWorks, and do a "Modify", select the SolidWorks Office Pro installation, don't just install SolidWorks. You don't have a separate reg code or serial number for Photoworks, it's all bundled together with Office Pro.

matt

"Robert Stewart" wrote in news:fHD9d.19261$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Reply to
matt

Now I'm confused. I did install it as SW Office Pro. I chose to do a full install of all of the options, but I still have to enter the serials for each of the plug-ins as I activate them. When I mentioned that my supervisor should contact the VAR, he stated that I must be doing something incorrectly and became very irate. I've been building computers and installing software for several years. I have followed the installation routine to the letter. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Stewart

"Robert Stewart" wrote in

Call your VAR. It won't cost you anything, and they're paid to be patient with new users.

If you picked "all the options", you probably installed Piping, or Routing I guess it's called now. That would ask you for a serial number even if you had installed the rest of it correctly. Routing is not part of SW Office Pro. The easy fix would be to go to Tools, Addins and turn off the routing add in. The more complete solution would be to do a Modify installation, and turn off the Routing.

Or you could uninstall and reinstall.

matt

Reply to
matt

Robert,

Could it be that you only have "office" and not "office pro" ??

Anyway, no offence, but it sounds like you installation is completly FUBAR.

At this point, the best thing to do is uninstall SW completely. Then you want to remove all of the SW2005 registry entries under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" & "HKEY_CURRENT_USER"

If you have other versions of SW installed, make sure you only delete the

2005 keys.

Example: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks 2005

Only delete the "Solidworks 2005" folder/key. The reason for this is SW keeps registration data in the "local machine" keys. If you install over it, it will pick up those settings and you'll be right back where you started. Sometimes, like if SW was never sucessfully launched, the uninstall will remove the registry stuff.

If you have Win XP SP2, you'll have to revert to SP1. Most of the problems associated with SP2 are installation related. SW won't support XP SP2 until SW2004 SP5 and SW2005 SP1.

Lastly, make sure you're installing the right product. If it's "SW office" check the appropriate box and go. DO NOT SELECT THE CUSTOM BOX and change anything. The same applies if it's "SW office pro". Make SURE real-time virus checking is disabled.

If you have a new machine with XP Pro SP2, and there is no way to revert to SP1, I don't know what to tell ya. I guess you'll just have to wait, bummer.

Good Luck

Mark

Reply to
MM

I doubt that would be the issue Mark since PhotoWorks comes with SW "Office" and "Office Pro" as well. But I agree with the rest of your suggestions. Sounds like a complete reinstall is in order.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I went one step further today. I did a complete re-format of the hard drive and started fresh; the guy who had this PC before me had too much junk on it. After I got everything up and running, I re-installed Solidworks 2004 Office Pro and I am still having the same results with Photoworks. I give.

installation

Reply to
Robert Stewart

wow... sumpin fuktdup?

BTW, this suggestion my sound silly but, if you have a firewall running, disable it when installing SW Office Pro or the PW addin and see what happens? Also, you are installing as an administrator or have full administrator rights, correct?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Check with your var your registration key may be only for SolidWorks not pro. When we upgraded to Office all they did was give me a new reg key. Call your VAR for pete sake. Look their number up.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Could someone physically disconnect their internet access and try to enable the Photoworks add-in? By enable I mean that it was enabled before.

installation

Reply to
Robert Stewart

in