Re: Importing 2001+ into 2004

Get a copy of 2003 an convert to 2003 then convert to 2004 if you don't have

2003 I am sure your VAR will support you on this matter.

Corey

Folks, > > I have severals parts and assemblies I made with SW2001 plus. > Recently I upgraded to 2004 and attempted to covert my older files to > 2004. I found that several parts didn't convert, while other > converted only to corrupt over the next 2 weeks. Any ideas? > > TIA
Reply to
CS

SW isn't particularly good at making sure that old parts rebuild in new software. We've had issues with every release since SW2000. Ideally, when you think you are ready to "upgrade" you should open every part and drawing and do a ctrl-q on them to force a rebuild. (The parts that failed over the next two weeks may have failed when they finally needed to do a rebuild.)

Do the failed parts have lofts and sweeps? They are probably the most like features to fail. How about configurations? They are another weak point, where features seem to change suppression state on their own. (In fact, you should probably force a rebuild on each configuration as well.)

Corey's advice, to try updating from 01+ to 03, then 04, is probably good.

Jerry Steiger

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to mention that when these older parts are opened, I get an "unexpected file format" error. Does this sound familiar?

Again thanks,

Reply to
trikesrcool

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to mention that when these older parts are opened, I get an "unexpected file format" error. Does this sound familiar?

Again thanks,

Reply to
trikesrcool

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to mention that when these older parts are opened, I get an "unexpected file format" error. Does this sound familiar?

Again thanks,

Reply to
trikesrcool

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to mention that when these older parts are opened, I get an "unexpected file format" error. Does this sound familiar?

Again thanks,

Reply to
trikesrcool

It would appear you also have a problem with your email application's repeat and repeat button (grin)

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to mention that when these older parts are opened, I get an "unexpected file format" error. Does this sound familiar?

Again thanks,

Reply to
trikesrcool

Sorry about that. everytime I attempted to respond, Google replied that the message did not post to the usenet. hence, several of the same message.

RMH

Reply to
trikesrcool

It's quite handy, if you have an API, to run test migrations on little used machines, weekends, overnight, etc. and have the API program keep logs (and be able to restart from a log of untested files) of any problems, if it can document them. Sadly, in my experience, really bad part files can lock up the task (hence it's important as well to write the NEXT part to check to the log files before starting the check AND save the log file to disk).

Generally, you will probably find the most "corrupt" files came from specific users .... and there is also supposed to be an NFS corruption issue on some networks (that I don't quite grasp ).

After dealing with any & all corrupt files everything else should migrate ... one release level at a time .. each time using the software for the next release lavel, not the latest & greatest unless it's all only one release level behind. Sometimes you can migrate more than one release level (don't know about SW) but don't count on it at all.

Keep good backups before starting even the tests and at each stage.

Monitor which parts are in use and which are not often, if ever used. You have a good chance of migrating the little-used parts first, thus saving a lot of system resources at crunch time when the new release must be live. IF you have the spare system & disk capacity ($$$$) you can migrate in parallel to the live, production system and just swap the end data when the time comes, only having to migrate the last day's work at that time.

HTH

Reply to
Cliff