Re: Production Machining Vs. Prototype Machining

> Is high-end equipment with huge payments / huge debt the only / best > way to go in this very uncertain manufacturing economy?  Obviously I > don't think so especially if you do prototypes and very short run. >

"Huge payments"? Your firm belief is completely ridiculous and incorrect, because you're basing it on NO facts or experience whatsoever. What kind of annual sales are you planning on, if you think $1000 or $3000/month is a "huge payment".

"Uncertain manufacturing economy"? Why are so many shops (like Kirk Gordon's employer), still buying equipment as fast as they can install it and staff it? You don't know or converse with *anybody* in ANY "high end" shop. I know of a few aerospace shops that have a 5+ year backlog right now, and their customers are scrambling to find

*qualified* suppliers. Jon Banquer's backyard Fadal graveyard with uncalibrated 1982 inspection junk picked up at auction, will not qualify as a supplier.
Any idea the kind of quality CNC vertical machining center you can buy > for $12,000 if you know what the hell you're doing? > > If it's not already, I firmly believe that much of machining with > become a niche industry and this idea scares the shit out of many > idiots who can't handle reality. > > Jon Banquer > San Diego, CA

"The kind of quality CNC vertical machining center you can buy for $12,000" is the kind of machine that will guarantee you lose every single job to a shop like mine who's bidding a $120/hr shop rate, even while you're bidding a $40/hr shop rate.

Reply to
Joe788