Re: Re: I Don't Want A Machinist To Modify "My Part" / Why Would A Machinist Need To Modify A Customers Part?

In my opinion the people who make this kind of statement are idiots

>who often show they have no idea how manufacturing works in the real >world. The people who make these kinds of statement are morons like >Matt Lombard, Joe 788, Tom Brewer, etc. For those who think these >worthless idiots have a clue perhaps this video will give you some >ideas why a machinist must have the ability to modify a customers part >in order to make it.

I know how manufacturing works in the real world.

That is why I am spending money buying machining work.

And real machinists make the parts per the print.

You are a self-proclaimed incompetent boob.

If you changed/modified any customer parts as you chose (outside print specifications), you would not get paid due to the 100% rejection rate. Paying customers would stop coming to your shop (hmm, is this your real life ???).

And that would put any place you worked out of business....

Reply to
Gerald Abrahamson

I know how manufacturing works in the real world.

That is why I am spending money buying machining work.

And real machinists make the parts per the print.

You are a self-proclaimed incompetent boob.

If you changed/modified any customer parts as you chose (outside print specifications), you would not get paid due to the 100% rejection rate. Paying customers would stop coming to your shop (hmm, is this your real life ???).

And that would put any place you worked out of business....

Reply to
Gerald Abrahamson

I agree 100%

Many a times we look at a print and say to ourselves 'WTF?' but to cover our own asses, we make it to print. now, if its not possible, we go back to the customer and ask, but we NEVER change a customers print/part without having prior written consent..

Reply to
tnik

Oh, and to add to that, if you make it to print, and its wrong, the customer has to float the bill.. if you change it, and the idiots at QC don't know it was changed for the better, you have to remake it on your dime, have it pass QC, then have it get to the guys that will realized 'oh crap, this is wrong' lets remake it..

Reply to
tnik

...or you go the way we do at my company. Engineers design the parts, not the machinist. However, before said part ever gets to the machinist, you have to have a design review in which the machining supervisor, design eng., and planner/scheduler go over the print. It is then, that the mfg department has the duty after looking at the print to ask if the eng. if he's had his head up his ass when he designed that (fill in the blank with undercut, relief, etc.) and "how the !@# are we supposed to machine that you idiot", and make a suggestion that would be easier, quicker, realistic, etc. At that point the eng. will let him know why he did what he did, and if it can be changed. If it was a customer specified feature, then you can go back to them and get it changed if possible...What a concept, eh? 100% correct that a machinist does not change a customer part, and also 100% does a eng. not change a customer designed feature without approval to do so, whether that was given in advance or not...

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Sounds like your design reviews are adversarial and IMO not a good team building technique.

I prefer questions & suggestions to accusations & name calling, something along the lines of:

We can save money if we increase the corner radius in this pocket. What is the largest radius we can put here?

On those edges, we can save a tool change if it were a champher rather than a radius.

The callout for these ID threads will require special tooling and process. We can save money if we increase the drill depth or the thread depth callout?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Tom - I was joking in the "eng vs. machinist", elbow to the ribs kind of way that I guess did not come across...Our design reviews are held as I described, without name calling, etc. and pretty much go the way you describe. I actually enjoy them even though it usually will require some kind of changes afterwards by myself. I'm 38, and I'm always learning something new during the reviews, whether it's a trick, or why we're going to run it on one machine or another....It helps for the next time I design something and you're never finish learning...Sorry my joke didn't come across, but we do joke in the meetings where I occasionally throw in the classic "well it looks good on the screen, what's the problem?" :)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

:) or would have helped me but nothing for you to apologize for it's just that people have written the same as you where I thought they were joking and they weren't!

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I know how manufacturing works in the real world.

That is why I am spending money buying machining work.

And real machinists make the parts per the print.

You are a self-proclaimed incompetent boob.

If you changed/modified any customer parts as you chose (outside print specifications), you would not get paid due to the 100% rejection rate. Paying customers would stop coming to your shop (hmm, is this your real life ???).

And that would put any place you worked out of business....

Reply to
Gerald Abrahamson

kinda like the old saying, you catch more flies with honey than you do with shit pouring out of your mouth ;)

Reply to
tnik

I know how manufacturing works in the real world.

That is why I am spending money buying machining work.

And real machinists make the parts per the print.

You are a self-proclaimed incompetent boob.

If you changed/modified any customer parts as you chose (outside print specifications), you would not get paid due to the 100% rejection rate. Paying customers would stop coming to your shop (hmm, is this your real life ???).

And that would put any place you worked out of business....

Reply to
Gerald Abrahamson

Does your baywords blog still link to that copyright piracy site?

Reply to
brewertr