RedLight free add-in now with rebuild stats

A new version of RedLight is now available on

for FREE RedLight lets you choose between automatic rebuilds (SW default) and manually controlled rebuilds. It might save you a lot of time! RedLight now displays statistics about the rebuilds that occured in your session and the time spared by RedLight.

I am considering pushing this stats/time measurement functionality forward (as described in the "Hours" thread of this newsgroup): accumulate in custom properties of each document:

1) total time the document is active (i.e the one with the focus) 2) total time with sketch open 3) total time spent on rebuilds any wish or comment about this?
Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Hello Philippe,

Of course it has already been mentioned and has ambiguous meaning, but idle time and (new thought) maybe idle time without screensaver running. If the screen saver was set to initiate in a very short time, then idle time without screensaver added to the other times could give a reasonably accurate estimate of time 'on the job'. Maybe you could throw in a function key that would set the screensaver time to this very short value just for the purpose of accumulating time 'on the job'. I think this scenario could work quite well. It would even be self checking, if the function key for setting the short screensaver time also was the way one initiated your 'Hours' accumulation. I would trust it enough to use for billing!

Just a thought, Jerry Forcier

Philippe Guglielmetti wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Thanks Philippe!

I'm really enjoying this; it's quite interesting

Reply to
Navy Diver

Can't get the ICON to show up in the assembly mode. Parts are okay, what did I do wrong? SW2003 SP 1.0

Reply to
Stracener

A new version of RedLight is now available on

for FREE

RedLight might save you a lot of time by blocking unwanted automatic rebuilds. Version 1.1 has:

1) two manual rebuild buttons : EditRebuild is fast, ForceRebuild rebuilds everything 2) a timer that measures actual work time vs. idle time 3) an installer (with uninstaller...)

I am considering pushing the stats/time measurement functionality forward (as described in the "Hours" thread of this newsgroup): accumulate in custom properties of each document:

1) total time the document is active (i.e the one with the focus) 2) total time with sketch open 3) total time spent on rebuilds any wish or comment about this?
Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

thanks Philippe,

for the upgrade! this installer works without admin priviledge

Reply to
Navy Diver

you're welcome!

yes I know... that's why I did it... actually SW registers opened (or drag&droppped) add-in DLLs only if you're an admin...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Hi Phillipe,

How about adding a 'inactivity' threshold where the user can set a certain number of minutes (5 minutes, for example). If the document with the focus is inactive for more than those 5 minutes then the clock stops counting, and then resumes when activity begins again.

This may be a good way of showing how much time is actually spent working on a part, as it would not count the time you are away at lunch, ot working on other parts. You may need multiple counters (one for each file that is open) so that you can keep track of all the time spent on all the open parts.

This may be useful for billing customers for work done on a job. I had started working on such a thing a few years back with TimeWorks but never got very far. Good to see the stuff you are doing!!!

Regards Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel