Reinstall?

I don't know a whole lot about computers and need some help.

I have both 2005 and 2006 sp0.0 installed on my computer. It is becoming unstable. I try to open a file and the whole thing will shut down. Also, when I click "File", "Open", the first 24 file names have tilde's in front as if they are files that are already open. That seems odd.

Is there a procedure somewhere on how to completely remove Solidworks and reinstall. Do I need a doctorate in computer science to accomplish it? Do I even need to do this?

My computer is running Windows XP pro 2002 service pack 2. I know my computer is up to the task speedwise and memory...

Reply to
dlevy

I had a similar situation where the un-install halted half way through. The program would no longer run and the un-install reported it couldn't find it to un-install, even though the menu items and program folders with files still existed. I attempted to re-install to then do an uninstall, but the install program reported it was already installed and no repair to windows or SW would help. What to do? I deleted the solidworks program folder and backed my registry with regedit and deleted every instance of "solidworks". Bingo! SolidWorks now installed without a hitch. This works, but I DO NOT recommend you to do this if you are not experienced with computers and operating systems. Have an experienced friend do it and BACKUP, BACKUP and BACKUP everything before.

You didn't hear this from me!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Actually, I had to do that for AutoCad LT. I suspect most of my problems are software battles between AutoCad LT and Solidworks. (I know Solidworks can open Autocad files but I still need all of the Autocad LT features.)

Thanks.

Reply to
dlevy

For reasons that are beyond my knowledge, Solidworks does not like either two instances of itself, nor does it like more than one version of itself on the same Operating System. This is especially so, if Solidworks was installed without disabling the Virus Protection that was installed beforehand. (Solidworks will warn you of this at install) If you absolutely must have two versions installed, for whatever reasons you may have, you would be better off adding a Slave Hard Drive, (IDE 1), installing XP on it, then installing the second version of Solidworks. This will give you a dual boot system that Windows will give you the option as to which one you want to activate , at boot up. For now, I would advise you to uninstall each version that you have using Windows\Control Panel\Add Remove Programs, and after you do this, go to C:\ Program Files, and manually delete any mention of Solidworks. You will find two Solidworks folders there. Also go into the Common Files folder, you will find mention of it there along with Toolbox. It is only at this point, that you should re-install the One version of your choice. Good Luck

Reply to
G. De Angelis

I don't need two versions. I didn't realize that when I loaded 2006 it would create a completely new installation. I assumed that 2006 would just upgrade 2005.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
dlevy

This hasn't been our experience. We often run with two or more versions of SW on our machines with no apparent difficulties, as do many people on this newsgroup. On the other hand, if you don't need two, it's best to remove the old one.

Jerry Steiger
2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 installed here. I think I'm covered, though I would have loved to played with 2001+, heard it was the screamer.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Thanks to all the help. I removed both copies. Removed the common files and reinstalled only 2006. All is well.

Reply to
dlevy