SDX2K3 files to SDX2K4: rumor

I heard a rumor, hopefully false, that Solidworks 2003 files can not be opened in Solidworks 2004. Does anyone know if this is true ??

Reply to
jclaidler

Historically speaking, it's always been the other way around. The older version can't read files from the newer.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Good news for all the consultants out there....

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Usually in any software, the older drawing can be read in the newer software. But this rumor still comes up, that the older files can't be opened in SDX2004. I hope this is not the case, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see when its released. Since SDX will not comment on un-released software.

Reply to
jclaidler

"DO NOT BELIEVE THIS RUMOR IT IS FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!" Sorry for yelling. but this rumor should be quashed immediately.

Reply to
Todd Anderson

This rumor is not true. I've been playing with SW2004 Beta. Any software company that did that would be cutting their head off. As is true in many upgrades with most software companies, once a SW2003 file is saved in SW2004, it is no longer available for use in the SW2003 application. If you are working with suppliers or outside vendors who use SolidWorks, it is a good idea to coordinate your upgrades with them. SolidWorks stongly recommends that you create backup copies of all files before converting them to a newer version, just in case you want to go back to the previous version.

Reply to
Don

All I can say to this is... Don't be daft.

Why on earth would any software compay do this?

That is an insane rumour, where did you hear it I wonder?

FYI I opened a SW2001+ dataset in SW2004beta (not recommended to skip versions I might add, technically I should convert to 2003 first, but this is what I did) that contained around 10,000 parts (about 3500 unique). It opened without a hassle - even quickly.

Cheers :)

Reply to
Tracey Parker

Thanks.... I thought this was a ridiculous rumor.

Reply to
jclaidler