Service Packs - Upgrades or Corrections

If we have several licenced seats of Solidworks, but only one that gets a renewed subscription service, will all the seats load the service packs?

I am only interested in this particular issue with respect to service packs.

Reply to
Ron Waligora

Ron Waligora quipped:

yes, they will all upgrade just fine.

so what then, you bought 2 seats straight out, then 1 seat with support?

makes sense I guess.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

I would think not. If so I will cancel our network license, which we pay maintenance on every seat, and we can all share. Let me ask you this. Can you log into that support area using the other serial numbers? My guess is no.

I could be wrong, if so I am going to cancel our maintenance for our network seats and keep up one of our standalones. Your safest bet Is asking your VAR or SolidWorks direct. I don't think you will get the answer that you are looking for.

Reply to
SWuser

They will until SW starts issuing a reg code for every service pack. Of course doing this is against the EULA you agreed to and if SW found out you were doing it they could demand their software back.

Do the rest of us that pay for our software a favor and try not to get SW too paranoid about whether they are being ripped off.

Reply to
kellnerp

our VAR recommended sassafras to monitor and dole out network licenses. It's 1000 bucks one time... not 900 or so each seat and then maint on top of that.

Reply to
Tim

First of all, this is not a decision I can make. I am only collecting data here.

Personally, I think it's a poor financial decision. If we are trying to save money in the short term, only to get hit with the $500.00 per seat registration fee when the next major upgrade comes, on top of the license fee!

So if the decision makers are going this way, I just want to know if anyone has actually loaded a service pack onto a license that has expired.

Reply to
Ron Waligora

Reply to
Sporkman

Well, you're on the horns of a moral dilemma...

The service packs will install for a seat on which the maintenance hasn't been paid. Doing so, however, is a violation of your license agreement. Especially since you've now posted your corporate email onto a forum that SW is known to watch, you violate the license agreement at your peril--it wouldn't surprise me if you were to get an inquiring phone call from your VAR and/or the BSA at some point in the future.

good luck

Reply to
Michael

the problem is that it's not free if you have to pay for the subsciption...

"Kman" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Mr Atari

Ron Waligora quipped:

FWIW, I have the same copy of SW installed on both computers (we do pay for

2 seats). I just happened to use the same set of CD's for both computers because for the second computer, my CD's were more convienent to grab and use. they both upgrade just fine with new SP's.

i know i probably should be using different copies, but there's no drawback to it.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

oh great. this thread again.

are bug fixes free or not?

-nick e.

Mr Atari quipped:

Reply to
Nick E.

Michael, As a subscriber you are entitled to free bug upgrades no cost from SolidWorks.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Nick,

Most of the rest of this post has to do with Ron asking other users for their support in his dancing around and the eventual violation of the licensing agreement that we all agree to when we hit that accept button. Your case is a bit different. If you read the licensing agreement you are not legally allowed to simultaneously run the same serial number at any point in time. The End User License Agreement does not address the fact that you have other licenses you have paid for and don't use. If it ever came down to it (which is very unlikely) you could probably talk you way out of it without getting in a jam. Don't be surprised if some day SolidWorks in conjunction with your reseller very nicely suggests that you go ahead and register those other seats.

Reply to
Dave

Dave quipped:

yadda-yadda-yadda.

dave,

the other seat IS registered. they're just both installed from the same CDs. not even intentionally. i just used the first set of cd's I grabbed. they're all in the same box.

if anyone complains from SW/VAR i'll reinstall, but it's not something i'm worried about. it'd be a hard sell for the BSA to convince a judge we're actually running pirated software. because we're not.

short story, as long as we;re using 2 seats and paying for 2 seats, i'm not really concerned.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

No argument with that--it's just not the question he asked....

Reply to
Michael

The CDs themselves are identical. There is nothing distinguishing one from another. There is nothing wrong with installing from one set to multiple machines as long as you have the same number of registration numbers and installations.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

What you say is true. However, lets say the subscription support expires in July and current SW release is supported for another six months. The user is entitled to free bug upgrades for this particular release.

Kman

subsciption...

Reply to
Kman

I wouldn't bet the farm on this statement. I've always been told that if you submitted a bug report, and that bug was fixed in that version, then yes you could(?) get updates (I was a VAR in '97-'98). I bet you it hasn't been done "officially" more than a handful of occasions. A lot of times the VAR's will do this on their own (depends on the VAR) as a show of good faith. There is no official statement to verify this, or official way to make this happen as far as I know.

It's one of the hazards of buying a seat without subscription and then perhaps getting sp0 which is a bugfest. I agree, that if you buy a version, then you should be entitled to bug fixes for the life of that version without buying support. But, as they have been known to add features in the service packs, I don't think this will happen.

They most definitely want the revenue generated by the subscription cost. I would like to see them bump the purchase price and include a year of subscription. I've been told that the reason it's seperate is an accounting issue because support is a different budget item than software purchases in a lot of large companies.

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea