Solid State Disks

Anyone use SolidState Disks? You can find them at

It is a PCI card that is full of 1gb-4gb of memory that is used for page file or storage of items you want to run very fast.

Thanks, Mike Grant O'Ryan Industries

Reply to
Mike Grant

I gather you are the maker of these? its a little naughty to say 1000x faster cause its tied to PCI bus so actually IO is only about 6-7x at best? and you still need to load and save the data to HD somewhere. I am thinking in reality it would probably better to spend the money on a faster processor. do you have any real world performance data to share re CAD? cheers

Reply to
neil

Lol, no one of my friends suggested it but I thought I should see if people have used it and I am not sure how to describe it so I put a link. Why do you guys always think someone makes something or is trying to promote it, lol. I guess I didn't think it was funny until I was accused. If you look up O'Ryan Industries I don't think you will find one of those devices.

Mike Grant

I used one of these a long time a go.(windows.1) Do they still make them? Yes they do speed things up,(a lot!), it looks like another hard disk as far as the system is concerned. Very useful if programming.

Pete Newbie

Serious, hmm. What kind of programming, you mean CAM. I do CAM and that is what I am looking for is to speed things up. How do you go about using them. Do you store your files their, your program, or just the page file?

Mike Grant

sorry, I am getting into the trebuchet now...

Reply to
neil

lol, sorry

Reply to
Mike Grant

You store your files there, there is a company that makes them, I found in the PCPlus Mag. They are very expensive, but worth it They transfer data at 3Gb/s, some 250 times faster than a conventional HDD. I was programming micro-processors, by the way.

for further info.

No, I do not work for or have any dealings with this company, just passing the address on. :-)

Pete Newbie