WTB *LARGE* used plough disks

I am looking for a few (1 to 6) large (1 or 2 36 inch and 1 or 2 26 inch, and 1 or 2 22 inch nominal diameter) used plough disks. These can have either the smooth or scalloped/toothed edge.

Should not be too rusty.

Plan is to weld up Argentinean style discos de assado for some family members. To see what I am talking about goto

and
{spotless shop to start}

Main difference between the Argentine and Mexican style (and a wok) seems to be that the Argentine style has a 2-4 inch [5-10 CM] lip welded around the outside to allow these to be used as a paella pan and for braising in addition to stir frying.

To see one in use goto

F. George McDuffee

Wouldn't a tank head work the same?

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

============= Thanks for the link.

Yes, but the cost is higher than a used disk (I think) although this may be offset by reducing fab time and cost of material for the lip/rim. I live in a rural area, but all the farmers here seem to use the smaller diameter disks, which would be suitable for a small unit to go on your bbq grill or kitchen stove ( and should fit in the oven for easy paella).

Several people have contacted me off list and it appears there are far more of these being made/used in the states than I thought. Plenty of these units for sale at good prices in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, but the freight is a killer. Some commercial units w/o lip/rim at

{has cnc plasma cut supports}

Google search term is

Don't have permission to post the emails, but some of the more interesting links these contained are:

Thanks for the info

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Or just use a larger Wok. You can get them here up to about 36" in diameter :-)

Reply to
John B.

Another good suggestion. Large woks would be a solution, but these have a rounded bottom and are difficult to use on western stoves, although they should work OK on a gas turkey frier.

While it won't have quite the cachet/brio of a welded disco de arado, it appears the solution will be the purchase of several large paella pans. According to the pan sellers websites, a 26 inch pan will fit on most bbq grills or can be used on a turkey frier [at low heat]. Looks like these can also be used as flat grill or griddle.

The smaller 20-22 inch units will fit on most kitchen stoves and will also fit in the oven for easy paella.

The copper paella pans, although beautiful (too nice to use?), are a "spicy meatball" in the larger sizes, so it looks like black or polished steel. I found several suppliers which may be of interest to the people following this semi metal related thread.

Spicy meatball

over the top

steel

Utilitarian solution [no brio points] for bbq grill, turkey frier, or stove

F. George McDuffee

Over here (where a Wok is a mandatory kitchen utensil) you can buy a ring that sits on top of your stove burner and supports the wok. the wok is perhaps a half inch higher then a flat bottom pot would be but wok cooking is usually at pretty high heat and done very quickly so it doesn't seem to bother local cooks.

I once made something or another out of a disc harrow disk and as I remember it, it was fairly thick. I'd think that cooking with one would be much like using an old cast iron skillet - light the stove and have a cuppa coffee while it is getting hot :-)

Reply to
John B.

Small point, but the flat discs are "rolling coulters" (or just "coulters") for moldboard plows. They usually have a round center hole and a ring of mounting holes around that one. The concave disks are "disk harrow" disks. They usually have a square hole. It wasn't clear to me if the guy in the first video was going to make one of those things from a coulter or if he was just showing the coulter to the customer. (My Spanish isn't very good). Looks like he always welds up the holes to me.

If you don't find any discs from other sources, check out any used farm equipment place. They often take old disc harrows apart to prepare them for scrap. For example, here's one that's close to me (Downing Tractor):

Farm auctions can also be a good source. Related to farm auctions--- There are almost always a couple of guys who do scrapping for a living who come to farm auctions. They buy up the old, worn out, obsolete machinery that no on else wants to bid on. They take it to their location and dismantle the stuff to sort it into piles that will bring the highest scrap prices. (Cast iron vs. sheet metal, vs mild steel, etc..). They will most certainly be the guys who will have the discs available. If I wanted to locate them, I'd contact any farm auction service in your area and ask for some names.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S

it's probably location dependent. i found a pile in a junkyard in s phx a few years ago. i had the square hole welded shut, and use it as a glass slumping mold.

chaniarts