What is it? (Amateur version Post #14)

Here is another post in my amateur ?What is it?? tools thre
ad. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size
and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn
rrated projections on the bowl-like end are sharp but not razor sharp. The
inner hole of the bowl is also sharp.

closed position. It creates two cylinders with inner diameters of approxima
tely 3/8 of an inch. There are numbers, warnings and a name stamped into th
e metal. I have hidden them in the pictures but will provide them as hints
if the tool is not recognized.

POST14_TOOL55. This tool is clearly in the metal plyers? family. It
is almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. The
set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws anywhere
inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.

POST14_TOOL56. These two metal tools are approximately 3 inches long. They
both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes passing
through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they are fully
screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The black steel p
oint on the end of the brass one is removable as well.
Reply to
Larry Flynn
read. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, siz e and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
serrated projections on the bowl-like end are sharp but not razor sharp. Th e inner hole of the bowl is also sharp.
e closed position. It creates two cylinders with inner diameters of approxi mately 3/8 of an inch. There are numbers, warnings and a name stamped into the metal. I have hidden them in the pictures but will provide them as hint s if the tool is not recognized.
It is almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. Th e set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws anywhe
1 inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.
y both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes passin g through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they are full y screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The black steel point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.

Larry Flynn
thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, s ize and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
e serrated projections on the bowl-like end are sharp but not razor sharp. The inner hole of the bowl is also sharp.
the closed position. It creates two cylinders with inner diameters of appro ximately 3/8 of an inch. There are numbers, warnings and a name stamped int o the metal. I have hidden them in the pictures but will provide them as hi nts if the tool is not recognized.
. It is almost 8 inches long. The jaws have a rubbery red plastic coating. The set screw can be adjusted to limit the closed position of the jaws anyw
n 1 inch. The edges of the jaws are concave/convex.
hey both have removable screw-on parts on one of their ends with holes pass ing through them. There is a small cavity inside each even when they are fu lly screwed on. They both have solid points at the other end. The black ste el point on the end of the brass one is removable as well.
The last ones are plumb bobs for a transit. I have one of them for my brass transit, ca 1900.
Reply to
edhuntress2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:
Yes. (have one, too). Further, the "cavity" remains to contain the line knot, so that there's nothing outside that might imbalance the bob.
Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
53 is a chalk marker. It perforates through a pattern into (usually) fabric and allows chalk dust to mark the cloth.
#54 is a fuel line quick connect tool to disconnect quick-connect lines. Looks like a Lisle. I have a couple in my tool box. \ #55 is an adjustable gripping pliers. The thumb screw limits how far the pliers can close - the padded jaws protect the work
Reply to
clare

#55 are glazier's pliers. They are used to put pressure on the score line on a piece of glass.
Paul K. Dickman
Reply to
Paul K. Dickman
Three of four have been correctly identified. TOOL53 has not. It has no mov ing parts. That is the tool retains it shape, up to some flexibility of the metal, during use. L. Flynn
Reply to
Larry Flynn
That's where I've seen them!!!
Reply to
clare
[ ... some snipped ]
O.K. I can try a guess at these. I would suggest that they are for breaking glass along a scribed line. The plastic coating is to prevent chipping the glass from the force of the jaws.
BTW -- it should be "pliers" not "plyers". :-)
No URL present for this, but I've tried modifying the previous one, but that does not work. Changing the "TOOL55" to "TOOL56" coes not work, apparently the scrambled alphanumerics between the "/s/" and the "Post14" are some sort of key.
However, at a guess, from the description, I would suggest that these are a pair of trammels -- designed to clamp onto a ruler (or a yardstick) to act like a pair of dividers, but with a greater distance between the points.
Or perhaps plumb bobs, where the screw-in part accepts the line and a knot retains it in the remaining cavity.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
O.K. Now that I can see the images, they are plumb bobs, not trammels.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Thanks for the posts. Three of the four have been identified. The answers f or all four are at the end of this post. L. Flynn
[...]
POST14_TOOL53. Hand-held coconut scraper/grater. POST14_TOOL54. Quick fuel line disconnect.
POST14_TOOL55. Glass pane grips, Glass running pliers, Glazier?s pliers.
6 minutes in
POST14_TOOL56. Plumb line bobs.
Reply to
Larry Flynn